GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   UV steralizer (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/37042-uv-steralizer.html)

Christopher 17-07-2003 08:42 PM

UV steralizer

is it wise to run the UV steralizer 24 hours a day? assuming that you only
desire a 99.9% steralization rate you don't have to run the steralizer that
much (depending upon gph through the steralizer and tank size). I've read:

9.2 * (tank size / gph through steralizer) = hours a day UV steralizer must
be on to attain 99.9% steralization rate (assuming uniform mixing). This
said my calculation is at most 7 hours a day, should I just run it for 8
hours a day and save my bulb life and power bill?

Should I run it 24 hours a day to achieve 99.999% steralization or for 8
hours a day?

James Thompson 17-07-2003 08:42 PM

UV steralizer

Along these lines, I would like to know if anyone has diy ozone generator?
maybe big enough to use on swimming pool also. Any electronics techs out
there with ideas? I am also a tech.

As to you chris, why run it 24 hours, would eat the bulbs fast that way.
And not do any better job. Best to check manufacturer's recommendations.
Just my thoughts :)

rthlink.net...

m.dekort 17-07-2003 08:42 PM

UV steralizer

The bulb life will go way down if you turn it off and on

Christopher wrote:

is it wise to run the UV sterilizer 24 hours a day? assuming that you only
desire a 99.9% sterilization rate you don't have to run the sterilizer that
much (depending upon gph through the sterilizer and tank size). I've read:

9.2 * (tank size / gph through sterilizer) = hours a day UV sterilizer must
be on to attain 99.9% sterilization rate (assuming uniform mixing). This
said my calculation is at most 7 hours a day, should I just run it for 8
hours a day and save my bulb life and power bill?

Should I run it 24 hours a day to achieve 99.999% sterilization or for 8
hours a day?

Christopher 17-07-2003 08:43 PM

UV steralizer

the manufacturer has no recommended run time
double helix 36W

t...

Christopher 17-07-2003 08:43 PM

UV steralizer

is turning it on and off once a day that bad for it? I would think the fact
that I would be running it for 1/3 of the time would outweigh the shortening
of life from the on/off cycles (I would just put it on a timer after all).

Bruce Geist 17-07-2003 08:43 PM

UV steralizer

Actually, the 9.2 factor will give you 99.99 % throughput through the
sterilizer. To get 99.9% throughput, the factor is 6.9.
See http://www.wideopenwest.com/~brucege...ver/index.html
for details.

One strategy is to set the flow rate through the sterilizer so that one pass
kills target organisms you wish to kill. If you set the flow rate slow
enough that everything you want to kill is killed, then run your sterilizer
long enough to "turnover" the tank water once or twice a day,
and then shut the sterilizer off.

Basically, the more slowly you put water through the sterilizer, the more UV
exposure every bit of water passing through the sterilizer receives. If
you have a 36 watt sterilizer with about a 3 inch diameter chamber for the
water, and your flow rate is about 100 gallons per hour, then you are
probably irradiating your water at about a 100 microwatt-seconds dose, which
is
enough to kill most bacteria, algae, and many protozoa. (This is only a
crude estimate; I am working on developing some assessment tools on my
website which will provide more specific advice..) If you are using a lower
wattage sterilizer, or a lower diameter sterilizer, then your flow rate will
need to be lower still to achieve the same dose.

In the article I wrote cited above, I show that when you have run 99.9% of
the water through the sterilizer at least one time, in actuality 99.2% of
water has passed through 2 or more times, and 96.8% will have passed through
the sterilizer 3 or more times! I recommend 6.9*(tank size in
gallons)/(flow rate in gallons) to be your target turnover time. If your
flow rate is chosen with some care, you need not run your sterilizer all
the time. You will save bulb life by running your sterilizer through only
one or two
turn-over intervals per day.

I hope you enjoy the article on turnover time; this is the first time I have
published the web address. Remember that you can skip to the conclusion
and get the formula to use. I am in process of collecting data for a suite
of articles on the topic UV sterilizers. Be watching this news group or my
web site; I am waiting on data from a manufacturer. -Bruce Geist

Donald Kerns 17-07-2003 08:43 PM

UV steralizer

NETMAX alert. Grab this URL guy!

-Donald

Bruce Geist wrote:

Actually, the 9.2 factor will give you 99.99 % throughput through the
sterilizer. To get 99.9% throughput, the factor is 6.9.
See http://www.wideopenwest.com/~brucege...ver/index.html
for details.

One strategy is to set the flow rate through the sterilizer so that one
pass
kills target organisms you wish to kill. If you set the flow rate slow
enough that everything you want to kill is killed, then run your
sterilizer long enough to "turnover" the tank water once or twice a day,
and then shut the sterilizer off.

snip good stuff

--
"When you've lost your ability to laugh, you've lost your ability to think
straight." -To Inherit the Wind

Christopher 17-07-2003 08:43 PM

UV steralizer

Thats a very detailed explanation, THANKS!
have a couple questions though:
if the primary reason I'm using the steralizer is to kill algae spores so my
tank stays clean is it smart to only have the steralizer running for X hours
a day? Cant the spores be released and land and settle on the glass and
leaves during the off period? My second question is how much life of the
bulb is saved when you run it for 8 hours a day? I know that the turning on
of the bulb takes away from bulb life, but would the fact that its only run
for 1/3 of the time save bulb life in the long term? I am concerned since
36W PC florescents are $50 (not exactly cheap)

Bruce Geist 17-07-2003 08:43 PM

UV steralizer

Basically, you are only culling the population of algae spores and bacteria
to a level, presumably, that is more like an open stream or lake. All tank
water is never sterile at any one moment in time, since algae and bacteria
are constantly re-growing.

To control a specific organism or class of organisms, use the lowest lethal
dose for that organism or class of organism, meaning you turn your flow rate
up so that water passing though is exposed to the right level of radiation,
and no more. That way, you are killing algae at the quickest possible
rate. The flow rate is effectively your control on the dosage you are
delivering. So, if algae is your target, I'd turn your flow rate to about
200 gallons per hour. This will deliver (I am estimating here) about 50,000
micro watt-seconds / cm^2 of radiation to the water passing through your
sterilizer.

Here is the shaky part; I am not sure exactly what dose will kill all algae.
So be aware, I am making a swag here. I do know that Chlorella Vulgaris, a
kind of algae, is killed by 45,000 micro watt-seconds / cm^2 of UV.
Therefore, I am recommending a flow rate that I believe will cause your 36
watt sterilizer to deliver the 50 K micro watt-seconds / cm^2 dosage. I do
not actually have intensity data for your particular sterilizer, though I
have requested it from the manufacturer (because I am doing some
mathematical modeling for an article I am writing..) I have intensity data
for a 30 and 64 watt UV set-up, so I am interpolating a result here.
However, the dosage estimate is really an estimate! Sorry I cannot be more
precise.

Now its your choice whether to leave on the sterilizer or cycle it. I do
not believe the statement that cycling a UV lamp shortens its life
significantly. Maybe it does, but I find it hard to believe. In fact, the
lamp manufacturer defines its useful life in terms of hours on, not number
of cycles. If you leave the thing on all the time, the lamp will last about
6 months. If you use it only during the day, my expectation is that it will
last a year. Since your target is algae, maybe its enough to sterilize when
the algae is multiplying during your tank's lighted period.

Do some experiments, and see if you perceive a difference in water quality
and/or algae proliferation when cycling and not cycling. And then let me
know what you conclude! I'd really like to know what your experience turns
out to be...

-Bruce

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~brucegeist

Bruce Geist 17-07-2003 08:43 PM

UV steralizer

I noticed after I posted that Chlorella Vugaris, a kind of algae,
is actually killed with a dose of 22,000 micro-watt-seconds/cm^2.

If you assume most all algae is killed with a 30,000 unit dose,
you will in fact want to increase the flow rate on your sterilizer further,
to 250 or 300 gallons per hour. -Bruce

Bruce Geist 17-07-2003 08:43 PM

UV steralizer

I am not certain at all about when algae will bloom, or when the best time
to kill algae would be. 24/7 sounds like a good, if slightly more expensive
way to go, since you want to be sure. If you do do some experimenting, let
me know what you find.

As I said in the earlier post, I am convinced that you will kill the most
algae by tuning your flow rate to deliver the correct kill dose for algae --
about 30,000 micro-watts -sec / cm^2, and no more or less, regardless of
whether you leave your sterilizer on 24/7 or not. This will kill the most
algae, because the flow rate is highest without being too high to do kill
algae. For your sterilizer, I would say 250 to 300 gallons per hour is what
you want to flow through the sterilizer.

Good luck. BTW, I saw Leigh's post. In my opinion, Leigh is right, you
will need to do all the other algae control measures that you see discussed
in this (rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants) newsgroup. Maintain proper growth
nutrients for higher plants, get algae eating fish, maintain water quality,
etc. I use a sterilizer in my tank, but did not for the first couple of
years that I had my tank up and running. With a sterilizer, I notice clearer
water, and possibly slightly less algae buildup on the tank walls. (But I
still have to do a significant weekly cleaning..) I have seen a reduction
of surface scum, and a marked reduction in cyano bacteria (blue-green
algae), a particularly nasty smelling algae. I used to get small colonies
near my filter return and sometimes near the interface between gravel and
glass. It never spread. (The small colonies seemed to occur regardless
of my nitrate levels. I have seen insufficient nitrate levels blamed for
cyano bacteria.) Now I see very little blue green algae in my tank. I am
hoping I will never see Ick in my tank again, but at this point I make no
declarations. We'll see.

-Bruce

"Christopher" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
the thing is if one dose doesn't kill the algae spores then the second

dose
probably will (since it would get another dose roughly every hour), and in
the meantime it will be very weakened.

How certain are you that algae release their spores into the water during
the day? I know for most people it isn't a big deal but I don't like

algae
in my tank and for me...having a steralizer seriously retard the spread of
algae is worth it. That way I can run the lights more than 8 hours a day
and I don't have to spend an hour scraping the sides of the tank every

other
week. I might just leave it at that and run the steralizer 24/7 unless

you
are fairly certain that I can time it to the release of algae spores.

Since
the whole purpose of this purchase was to severely minimize the amount of
work I have to put into the tank I want to have the maximum algae
retardation possibile.

liz bolyard-mick 17-07-2003 08:43 PM

UV steralizer

I may be wrong, but I believe that only incandescent bulb life is shortened
by turning it off and on due to the surge of electricity passing through the
filament. This surge weakens the filament by vaporizing pieces of the
filament. During normal usage, samll pieces of the filament detatch and
float freely in the bulb, but they are drawn back to the filament to settle
on it. It is the vaporization of the small pieces of the filament that
shortens the life of an incandescent bulb. I don't believe the same is true
for any flourescing type lamp, but I don't know as much about those types.