Old 17-07-2003, 08:43 PM
stwalkden

Default sand

I'm planing to set up an amazon bioype tank in a 33 gallon tank. I have 2
aquaclear filters on this tank. I would like to a sand flourite mix as a
substrate, but am concerned about the sand getting into the filter
impellers. Or I can go with natural (uncolored) river gravel. I plan to have
40 watts of flourecent lighing, mainly swords and dwarf sag. Any opinions?

Old 17-07-2003, 08:43 PM
Dave Millman

stwalkden wrote:

I'm planing to set up an amazon bioype tank in a 33 gallon tank. I have 2
aquaclear filters on this tank. I would like to a sand flourite mix as a
substrate, but am concerned about the sand getting into the filter
impellers. Or I can go with natural (uncolored) river gravel.

Sand and Flourite will separate over time-particle size, shape and density are
much too dissimilar.

River gravel which has a similar particle size to the Flourite will probably
stay mixed for a while.

100% Flourite will stay mixed forever.

Old 17-07-2003, 08:43 PM
Matt Hanson

I have pure white Florida beach sand in my tank. It's about as fine as sand
gets, and I have no problems with it getting anywhere.

The big thing to remember is not to seed it too deep, or a stinky, rotten,
anearobic layer will eventually develop under it.

And, of course, you don't need to put your filter tube on the floor of the
aquarium. Half-way up is fine.

stwalkden wrote:

I'm planing to set up an amazon bioype tank in a 33 gallon tank. I have 2
aquaclear filters on this tank. I would like to a sand flourite mix as a
substrate, but am concerned about the sand getting into the filter
impellers. Or I can go with natural (uncolored) river gravel. I plan to have
40 watts of flourecent lighing, mainly swords and dwarf sag. Any opinions?

builders sand instead of horticultural sand jw 111 Texas 15 24-08-2005 02:46 PM
swimming pool sand filter operation clive Ponds 3 08-12-2003 05:04 PM
Sand sand and sand kcchin Gardening 8 15-06-2003 04:20 PM
white river sand alex crouvier Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:10 AM
Profile/Laterite/Sand as substrate redled Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:10 AM