Old 17-07-2003, 08:43 PM
Slow Leak

Default High End Lighting Advice - Giesemann & AB

Hi,

I am requesting some feedback on Giesemann and Aqualine Busche lights. The
application is a freshwater planted tank in an oceanic standard 55 gallon
with Co2 supplimentation. I do keep a marine tank as well and am cross
posting because most Giesemann and AB fixtures are sold for marine
applications.

Both appear well made. I am mostly interested to have the lights look better
in the den with a better reflector and use. The two units I have interest in
are the 120 cm (48") AB with 4 X 54w T5's, Or the Giesemann Sunrise 140 cm
(54") 3 X 39W T5 lamp. I live in US and will need to order special most
likely. I do not want an external ballast because I need 120V 60 hz
configuration.

The sunrise model has an electronic dimmer built in to gradually turn on
brighter and off slowly. The suspended unit will be 3 1/2" over each side.
for the Giesemann model. I hink 39 X 4 is more appropraite for a FW tank
this size. It i also double the cost.

It really boils down to, is 4X 54W T5s 6500K too much 12 inches over a FW
densly planted tanks? The AB T% lamp is less expensive due to not having a
timer and will fit over slightly better too.

Does anyone have either fixture?

Thanks for your help

Slow Leak

Old 18-07-2003, 10:12 AM
James

Slow Leak,

Sorry for the delay, But I am using a Giesemann 260 moonlight system
over my FW Planted tank. It is a 180Gallon tank. I am waiting for new
6500K (3) bulbs to be shipped sometime this week i hope. Currently I
am using (3) 10K bulbs. The tank has been running for about 1 year,
but only about 1 month with the new lighting system (but older style
where ballasts are internal and also this is a 220Volt system) The
tank has never looked better.

James

Old 18-07-2003, 10:12 AM

[...]

I really like the Giesemann MH's fixtures. We had one ballast fry out
but over the years they are very nice but costly.
HQI double ended bulbs are very nice.

For power compacts, www.ahsupply.com is the way to go if you already
have a hood. These only need about 2.5" H and 22" L and about 3" wide
for placement. I can easily get 6x55w of PC lighting over a 55 gallon
tank.

220 watts is a fair amount of light but not unheard of for a planted
tank. I liked the set up when I had a 55 gallon.
I use a mix of 5000K and either 6700K or 8800K lamps.

PC lights will last for many years on a FW tank. I run them till they
die.
If ypou are looking for a ready made hood, a local store would have
the hoods.

You can also make a nice looking wooden box with legs for a semi open
top look out of 1/4" popular wood from Home Depot painted to suit.
Pretty easy. A&H sells the hood kits also.

Regards,
Tom Barr