Old 17-07-2003, 09:43 PM
willis stanley

Default prefilter for UV

Hello all,

I'm thinking of attaching a UV to my 55 gal. temporarily whilst I deal
with an outbreak of brush algae (SAEs, Amano shrimp manually cleaning
rocks, etc.) Since I use aquaclear filters, there is no canister system
into which it can be fitted. In truth, I would prefer that it be a
"stand alone" system so I can relocate it to a marine tank once the
algae is under control.

What can I use to prefilter the water and how can I rig it up? Ideally,
I'd like it down to 5 microns to save wear and tear on the UV.
Old 17-07-2003, 09:43 PM
LeighMo

What can I use to prefilter the water and how can I rig it up? Ideally,
I'd like it down to 5 microns to save wear and tear on the UV.

If you're planning to get a standalone UV sterilizer, then your intake will be
a powerhead. That's what drives water through a standalone. You have to buy
it separately.

So the prefilter for the UV sterilizer will be the prefilter for the powerhead.
There are a variety of prefilters for powerheads on the market; check them out
in catalogs, online, etc.

I use a Penguin powerhead. It came with a foam prefilter, and it works fine.
I wouldn't worry about wear and tear on the UV sterilizer. Basically, it's
nothing but a hollow tube that the water passes through. Small particles in the
water won't cause any real wear and tear; there are no moving parts or
anything.

Leigh

Old 17-07-2003, 09:44 PM
James Ervin

What can I use to prefilter the water and how can I rig it up? Ideally,
I'd like it down to 5 microns to save wear and tear on the UV.

You will also need a valve to slow down the output of your
pump.....your UV filter will come with a gph rating that you must not
exceed. If you do, you will not be sterilizing your water as your
dwell time in the unit will be too short for the wantage of the bulb.

James Ervin
Remove SPAM to email me.
Old 17-07-2003, 09:44 PM
LeighMo

You will also need a valve to slow down the output of your
pump.....

I think you only need that if you're getting an inline model. (Which he can't,
since he's got a power filter.) If you're getting a standalone, you just have
to be careful to buy a powerhead with an output that matches the UV
sterilizer's gph rating.

Leigh

Old 17-07-2003, 09:44 PM
willis stanley

What I had thought about doing was hooking the UV output line up to a
small via aqua pump's air hose intake, drawing water through the UV
rather than pushing it through. That would get me below the 60-80 gph
required for my UV unit. Then what I'd have to do is find some way to
put a prefilter on the end of the intake hose. Either that or find some
way to filter the grille intake of the via aqua. Since I already have
such a pump running for circulation, it would mean no new pumps in the
system.

In article ,
tose says...

Old 17-07-2003, 09:44 PM
LeighMo

What I had thought about doing was hooking the UV output line up to a
small via aqua pump's air hose intake, drawing water through the UV
rather than pushing it through.

Yikes. I'm not sure that would be a good idea. You might have a lot of
trouble getting the syphon started.

If I were you, I'd buy a correctly sized powerhead. They're under $20 mail
order. And you'll need one anyway, if you're planning to move it around to
different tanks.

Leigh

Old 17-07-2003, 09:44 PM
Christopher

you don't need a prefilter. just get the normal cap at the end to ensure no
fish go exploring up the tube and you are ok...the steralizer is just a tube
that the water passes through so as long as the thing sucked in can make it
out you have no problems

. ..

Old 17-07-2003, 09:44 PM
DWS

and if its a newer model it is probably very easily cleanable ---

I have a triple helix *sp* - and its comes apart for easy cleaning

Dustin

rthlink.net...

Old 17-07-2003, 09:45 PM
willis stanley

OK, this is what I did: took the mini jet 404 and attached one of the
aquaclear quick filters (supposedly 1 micron or so) to the intake
(removed the grill and used superglue) put an inline valve between the
pump and the UV unit (cheapo originally intended as an add on for home
water filtration) and used that to drop the flow rate down to a
guesstimated 50 gph, then back to the tank with the output near the
intake for my via aqua which is still providing circulation. Couple of
very slow leaks at the connectors I used to step-down tube size from .5
ID to .25 OD. Everything seems OK, but a couple more questions:

1. the lining of the UV unit is shiny metal. I try to keep metal away
from my aquariums on principle, to the extent that's possible. Since
we're not talking long term use here, is this a problem?

2. obviously I can't look inside to see that the lamp is lit, so how do
I tell if it's on?

3. In terms of killing the floating nasties, there's clearly a point of
diminishing returns beyond which it isn't worth it to continue running
the UV. How long should I run it and how often? 10 hrs. twice a week?
3 hrs. once a week? I can break down and do the math but if there are
any rules of thumb out there, I'd like to hear them.

One more observation: the SAEs are working wonders with the brush algae,
albeit slowly. These critters are worth their weight in gold if you've
got this problem.

In article ink.net,
says...

Old 17-07-2003, 09:45 PM
LeighMo

1. the lining of the UV unit is shiny metal. I try to keep metal away
from my aquariums on principle, to the extent that's possible. Since
we're not talking long term use here, is this a problem?

I wouldn't think so. As long as it was designed for use with aquariums, it
should be safe.

2. obviously I can't look inside to see that the lamp is lit, so how do
I tell if it's on?

Usually there's an indicator light that goes on. Mine is right under the
intake/outflow barbs.

3. In terms of killing the floating nasties, there's clearly a point of
diminishing returns beyond which it isn't worth it to continue running
the UV. How long should I run it and how often? 10 hrs. twice a week?
3 hrs. once a week? I can break down and do the math but if there are
any rules of thumb out there, I'd like to hear them.

It's generally recommended that you run them 24/7. That's what I do.

UV sterilizers aren't that efficient. Don't think you'll eliminate all
nasties. You just reduce the concentration.

Leigh

Old 17-07-2003, 09:45 PM
willis stanley

1. there's the rub; it's designed for a water filtration system i.e.
human consumption or hydroponics--got it supercheap so it's worth the
experiment. I'll take it apart after a day or so and look for sediment,
corrosion, etc. and see if I can remove the lining. This is fun.

2. no such luck on my unit.

3. concur that's what sounds practical.

In article ,
tose says...