Old 17-07-2003, 08:46 PM
cindy

Default madagascar lace plant flower question

I purchased one a couple of weeks ago. A few leaves browned and I
snipped those off. Sunday I noticed a flower spike (exciting for me -
first time to have anything bloom). It grew to the surface of the
water (24 inches) in a day and a half. I lowered the water level so I
have an inch of clearance from the water line to the lucite cover. It
has continued to grow - but not up and out of the water. Instead it
has bent over and is growing along just under the water surface. If I
stretch it out of the water it is a good 10 inches taller than the
water line. Is this normal? I expected it to go a little above the
water line and produce a flower.

Also a few questions, if this is normal - how long until it flowers?
how long does the flower last? Does anyone know where I can find a
picture of the flower on-line? I've searched several websites ... I
haven't been able to find much info on the flowers - but I get the
impression that having one produce a spike and flower is common.

Thanks so much,
Cindy
Old 17-07-2003, 08:46 PM
Sherry Michael Weller

Lucky you!

Try:
http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plant.../msg00088.html
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Plants/Aponogeton.html#13
http://www.animalnetwork.com/aquafish/reference/g7.asp

--
Sherry Michael Weller
SAS Distributed Desktop Support
Old 17-07-2003, 08:46 PM
Madpiano

Ours has done just the same. I swear you can watch those things grow. It
grew all over the watersurface and then suddenly produced a flower.

The flower is above water, and they are self-germinating (just brush over it
with a fine paint brush). If you manage to get berries, you will get new
plants....

Old 18-07-2003, 10:13 AM
cindy

Thanks for the tip. Now (a few days since my original post) the stalk
has thickened at the top and has risen out of the water - touching the
plastic barrier. The flower bud has thickened as well. Looks like it
may actually bloom!
Cindy