Old 17-07-2003, 08:46 PM
Darryl Hover

Default K2SO4 and scratching

Howdy all!
I've got several fish that have started scratching themselves after I
started dosing the K2SO4 and KNO3. Doesn't seem that this is a good thing.
Any thoughts?

Tank parameters:
29 gal (just over one year old)
1 - 55w CF & 1 - 20w standard flourescent
CO2 (compressed)
pH: 6.8
KH: 2 (I've started bringing this up last night using baking soda - 1/4 tsp)
GH: I have no way to test this right now
Nitrates: 0 near as I can tell from my test kit
Nitrites and Ammonia: Both 0

I've started dosing both KNO3 and K2SO4 really low 3 days ago. By low, I
mean about .25 ml per day. Today, I just dosed the K2SO4 at about .6 ml. The
doses are well diluted and added slowly, so no chemical cloud. Almost
immediately after todays dosing, the fish started bouncing off plants and
wood again.
Also, some of the fish's tails are starting to look tattered. These same
fish are also running up and down the side of the tank. This seems to me to
be indicative of chemical poisoning, but as I noted, both Nitrites and
Ammonia are at 0.

Any clues? Has anyone experienced this before?
Darryl

Old 18-07-2003, 10:12 AM
Ed

On Thu, 15 May 2003 20:56:08 -0700, "Darryl Hover"
wrote:

Howdy all!
I've got several fish that have started scratching themselves after I
started dosing the K2SO4 and KNO3. Doesn't seem that this is a good thing.
Any thoughts?

Hey Darryl,

What is the source of your chemicals? I know this might seem like a
stupid question.... But are you sure you're dosing the correct
chemicals? Could your chemicals contain something other than K2SO4 ot
KNO3?

Could the scratching and darting be from Chlorine and or chlorimine
contained in your dosage?

snip

Any clues? Has anyone experienced this before?
Darryl

I have never had any problems with either of those two chemicals. But
I don't use K2SO4 anymore. Over the past 3 years I have only been
dosing KNO3, KCL and K2PHO4. But using K2SO4 should not give you any
problems unless you have too much Sulfur in your water...

Do a couple of large water changes... this'll usually set things
right.

Regards,

Ed at
i-aquaria dot com

Old 18-07-2003, 10:12 AM
Darryl Hover

The chemicals are from Light Manufaturing in Portland, Oregon; recommended
by many in the news group.

I will do the water changes later today.