Old 17-07-2003, 08:46 PM
Donovan Niewoehner

Default What kid of plant is this?

I recieved a bulb from a friend of mine who got it in a bundle of random
plants he got from a LFS, the bulb looked like just a dead lump of wood, but
I threw it in the planted tank just in case. It sprouted a pair of tiny
leaves and stayed that way for several months. Two weeks ago it sprouted
roots (that are very firmly attached to the gravel) and some steams with
arrowhead shaped leaves on the end. about a week ago it sent up one after
another rounded pads that uncurl at the surface of the water.
The pads have a glossy sheen on their top surface and a reddish
coloration on their underside.
The tank is a 6 gallon eclipse with the stock 8 watts of lighting.
All of my other plants (especally the sword in the foreground that grows
like mad) are doing well.
I figured it's some kind of apon? but any more specific information
would be appreciated.. How does this plant propigate?

Thanks for any input.

--donovan

Old 17-07-2003, 08:46 PM
Donovan Niewoehner

lol I forgot to say i posted the pics in alt.binaries.aquaria

Old 18-07-2003, 10:12 AM
Victor M. Martinez

Looks like a water lilly.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old 18-07-2003, 10:12 AM
Sandy

"Victor M. Martinez" wrote in message
Looks like a water lilly.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Sagittarius sagittifolia - Arrowhead.

http://www.k12.nf.ca/sjis/landhabita...arrowhead.html

http://caliban.mpiz-koeln.mpg.de/~st...indman/485.jpg

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:-

Old 18-07-2003, 10:12 AM
Victor M. Martinez

Sandy wrote:
Sagittarius sagittifolia - Arrowhead.

With round surface floating leaves and a tuber?

Old 18-07-2003, 10:13 AM
Sandy

"Plants in the genus Sagittaria often have the common name of Arrowleaf, in
obvious reference to the shape of the leaves. Several species with lance or
ribbon shaped leaves also occur. The roots of these aquatic plants are
tubers, and have been used for centuries as a food source in the Americas
and Asia. Several species in this genus are now rare or endangered, while
others are more common and grown as ornamentals."

A picture showing both types of leaf

http://www.mpiz-koeln.mpg.de/~stueber/lindman/485.jpg

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy

Old 18-07-2003, 10:13 AM
Victor M. Martinez

I stand corrected.

Old 18-07-2003, 10:13 AM
Sandy

"Victor M. Martinez" wrote in message
I stand corrected.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

I only knew that because I remembered having one 30+ years ago that did the
same thing, I haven't seen or grown one since.

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy

Old 18-07-2003, 10:13 AM