GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Will crawfish eat... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/37141-will-crawfish-eat.html)

Randal 18-07-2003 03:33 AM

Will crawfish eat...

java moss and java fern? I am thinking of adding a crawfish (caught from
a pond in northern California) to my 20 gallon tank.

Thanks for your info!

Randal

Ryan Wilson 18-07-2003 05:12 AM

Will crawfish eat...

java moss and java fern? I am thinking of adding a crawfish (caught from
a pond in northern California) to my 20 gallon tank.

Thanks for your info!

Randal

I wouldnt be surprised by anything a crawfish did. I saw a few in a pet
store that dig their claws into a net and the pet store owner picked them
right out of the water it never let go..They dont seem to back down at
all... They seem very aggresive...
Ryan

donovan n 18-07-2003 05:32 AM

Will crawfish eat...

Crawfish are a major problem here in Arizona, pushing out alot of native
species. I've done research on native fish and learned that crawfish will
eat algae, plants, fish, baby ducks (!), frogs, poisonous toads, any egg,
and other crayfish. They are extremely aggressive, and can get very big.
Crawfish like to dig in their search for food, so they will uproot many
plants.

good luck
--donovan

Moontanman 18-07-2003 05:02 PM

Will crawfish eat...

Crawfish are a major problem here in Arizona, pushing out alot of native
species. I've done research on native fish and learned that crawfish will
eat algae, plants, fish, baby ducks (!), frogs, poisonous toads, any egg,
and other crayfish. They are extremely aggressive, and can get very big.
Crawfish like to dig in their search for food, so they will uproot many
plants.

good luck
--donovan

Are you talkning about non-native crayfish? Crayfish are native to Arizona so
you must be talking about a non-native species. I have never heard of a North
american crayfish big enough to eat baby duck but be that as it may there are
hundreds of differnt species of crayfish from tiny dwarf ones to huge lobster
sized ones from Austriala. The crayfish most often offered for sale in
aquariums are a south eastern variaty, they will eat small fish and soft plants
but large fish will eat them. they get to be about 5 to 6 inches long. the blue
ones often seen for sale are just a color variaty of the same crayfish. Dwarf
crayfish are safe with plants and small fish but large fish will eat them like
candy.

Moon
remove nospam from e-mail to send to me, I grow trees in aquariums like bonsai.
I breed dwarf crayfish, great for planted community tanks. If you can get me a
shovelnose sturgeon fingerling (Scaphirhynchus platorynchus) no wild caught
please, contact me

Mike 21-07-2003 11:49 PM

Will crawfish eat...

I had a crawfish once.. he got so big he ate my fish, ALL OF THEM.. then
after cutting the stems of all my plants he flossed his teeth with my sword
plants, gave me the finger, and went back into his cave. next day i was so
****ed i ripped off the bubble counter and reactor and emptied my entire 10
pound co2 in the tank and all he did was laugh at me.. I couldn't get rid of
him, he wouldn't die.. one day me and my little brother went down to the
pond and I threw him in there to fend for himself.. my little brother was
playing with his remote control boat while i tossed the little ******* in
the pond... it was a nice sunny summer day... a few minutes go by and we
couldn't hear my brothers boat anymore.. as we turned to look for it, to our
shock and horror, we saw the boat in the middle of the pond with the
crawfish taking it apart piece by piece!!! he was making the same kinda
sound you hear in warcraft III when you turn Bloodlust on.. it was
sadistic!! we ran back to the car and tore outta there like a fat kid
running to a cake.. never went back to that pond, and never bought anymore
crawfish...

- My crawfish snipped the runners off my sword plant and often sharpens his
claws on a rock I have in the tank. I've never seen him eat anything except
for a baby angelfish, but don't be surprised if he starts digging around the
plants.. be careful because he could damage the roots. I bought a couple
pieces of slate for the crawfish to dig and make a cave under. I suggest
that if you don't want the crawfish to dig up everything in the tank get a
few pieces of rock or slate and build it up on one area of the tank. I put
in Java Moss and he seemed to stay away from it.. my angelfish were trying
to gobble it up though.. The fish did more damage to the moss then the
crawfish..

Mike

Shane Kennedy 22-07-2003 09:04 PM

Will crawfish eat...

"Mike" wrote in message ...
[...]

man, that's one hell of a story
best laugh i've had all month
all the little details really top it off nicely

Gimpy 21-08-2003 04:22 AM

Will crawfish eat...

I think so! LOL

Mike