Old 18-07-2003, 10:13 AM
E. Mito

Default Small Planted Tank

I re-did my 2 gallon Explorer tank using riccia, java moss, and lobelia
cardinalis, hoping that the wild overgrowth I experienced before won't be an
issue with these slower growers.

If you'd like to see...

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/mitoem/more_tanks.htm

Hopefully the conditions will allow the riccia and java moss to grow out some
so it looks more natural on the wood. I kept some rotala indica on the left
side of the tank because I can trim them easily enough by cutting the tops off.
I'm considering Sergey's suggestion of using Micranthemum or Hemianthus (if I
can find some locally) for the back to hide the heater, or possibly a small
cryptocoryne wendtii since the filter makes the rear shadier than the
foreground.

Let me know what you think!

Erica
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/mitoem/index.htm

Old 18-07-2003, 10:13 AM
LeighMo

Beautiful. I love the new look. The plants now seem more in scale with the
tank. Looking at it, it doesn't even seem like a small tank any more!

Leigh

Old 18-07-2003, 10:13 AM
Ed

On 18 May 2003 11:03:14 GMT, mallfry (E. Mito) wrote:

I re-did my 2 gallon Explorer tank using riccia, java moss, and lobelia
cardinalis, hoping that the wild overgrowth I experienced before won't be an
issue with these slower growers.

If you'd like to see...

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/mitoem/more_tanks.htm

Deeelightful! Can't wait to see that driftwood in a couple of months!
Incidentily Rotala Indica might prove to be a daunting advisary in
such a small tank. That's one of the fastest gowing plants that I
own. In my larger tanks I'm triming it at least once a week. Once it
spreads over the top of the water it can block light amazingly well.

Planted fish bowls are also a hobby of mine - I love them. I see on
your page that you have one. I've had a bowl or two ever since I did
my first clippings on my first planted aquaria many moons ago. : )
Tiny little aquascapes.... very neat....

I am going to start rebuilding all my tanks over the next couple of
months as they are getting a bit overgrown and I think I need a change
of scenery around here.

Regards,

Ed at
i-aquaria dot com

Old 18-07-2003, 10:13 AM
E. Mito

Thanks Leigh and Ed!

Ed -- The rotala doesn't grow too fast in this tank, probably because I don't
CO2 inject. It's the same rotala I've had in there for about five or six
months now and it's pretty manageable. I did have foxtails and ludwigia --
those were way out of control. I may decide to setup a small DIY CO2 injection
system if the riccia doesn't start growing...it's looking a little shabby and I
haven't noticed much pearling.

Leigh -- I agree it looks more in scale...I'm really happy with the piece of
driftwood I found, even though I had to saw a big branch off and break off a
couple of ends. THe nice thing about this little tank is that I was able to
wedge the top of one of the branches underneath the filtration system so
floating wasn't a problem. BTW...I just saw your new webpage picture and I
have to saw WOW...that tiger lotus of yours is spectacularly beautiful and
HUGE!! It's quite a difference from the last picture of your tank I saw. You
have quite a band of SAEs in there, too.

Old 18-07-2003, 10:13 AM
LeighMo

I'm really happy with the piece of
driftwood I found, even though I had to saw a big branch off and break off a
couple of ends.

I like it, too. I want to do something like that for my 29 gallon tank. I
have driftwood in there, but it's lumpy, not branchy. It looks nice bare, but
with the java moss growing over it, it looks like the Swamp Thing. :-P

BTW...I just saw your new webpage picture and I
have to saw WOW...that tiger lotus of yours is spectacularly beautiful and
HUGE!!

Hee. It's been bigger than that. I tell you, the things will take over the
tank given half a chance. I thought I had pruned it down to one plant, but
when I cut back the plants around it yesterday, what do I find but three more
babies, spreading out all over the place.

This weekend, I did a massive pruning. I'm going to try for more of a "lawn,"
especially on the left side of the tank. I'm hoping it will be lower
maintenance.

Leigh

Old 18-07-2003, 10:13 AM
Sherry Michael Weller

"E. Mito" wrote:

I may decide to setup a small DIY CO2 injection
system if the riccia doesn't start growing...it's looking a little shabby and I
haven't noticed much pearling.

You may want to try some Flourish Excel first. I was pretty doubtfull
with 'CO2 in a bottle', but decided to try it for a few dollars. I have
seen a difference in my small plant tanks.