GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   freshwater coraline algae? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/37198-freshwater-coraline-algae.html)

Mike 18-07-2003 11:13 AM

freshwater coraline algae?

I while back, I briefly met a fellow who was growing what he called
"coraline algae" in his freshwater tanks.
I found it quite beautiful and would like to replicate it.

Visually, the form is similar to very thick paint. The colour range, I
would describe as "preshool" greens and yellows.

The fellow was using a home-brew CO2 bottle, some form of Iron
supplement, and
another mineral supplement -Potassium/Calcium(?).
Both of the supplements struck me as coming from a land-plant nursery.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of algae?
Thanks,
Mike

[email protected] 18-07-2003 11:14 AM

freshwater coraline algae?

(Mike) wrote in message . com...
I while back, I briefly met a fellow who was growing what he called
"coraline algae" in his freshwater tanks.
I found it quite beautiful and would like to replicate it.

Visually, the form is similar to very thick paint. The colour range, I
would describe as "preshool" greens and yellows.

The fellow was using a home-brew CO2 bottle, some form of Iron
supplement, and
another mineral supplement -Potassium/Calcium(?).
Both of the supplements struck me as coming from a land-plant nursery.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of algae?
Thanks,
Mike

Most tougher short algae forms tend to be Coleochaete or diatoms in
most planted tanks. But none are really like the red Coraline algae
which are calcareous, some look like red corals even(Neogoniolithon
etc) .
Most algae is pretty color variable. Send me a piece or a pic etc, I
can tell you what it is.

Regards,
Tom Barr