Old 18-07-2003, 11:14 AM
SteveC

Default Flourite + Sand Substrate a good idea?

Hi, I don't know if this subject has been mentioned before so please forgive
me
if I am re-hashing a previously discussed topic.

I hear good things about Seachem Flourite and I was thinking about
purchasing Flourite and using
sand instead of gravel to use on top of the flourite.

From prior research, apparently one can use play sand available at your
local home center i.e.
Home Depot, Lowe's etc.

Does anyone know if this is a good combination or should I just use straight
Flourite and nothing on top or what?

The setup I want to do is a basic 10 gallon tank with a few plants maybe
some
Java Fern and an Amazon sword or two to start.

Thanks in advance,

--SteveC

Old 18-07-2003, 11:14 AM
Sherry Michael Weller

IMO, the only reason to mix flourite is to cut the costs. With a ten
gallon tank, it's not worth it. one bag should do.

Old 18-07-2003, 11:14 AM
Dave Millman

I hear good things about Seachem Flourite and I was thinking about
purchasing Flourite and using
sand instead of gravel to use on top of the flourite.

Others have advised you not to mix for a 10 gallon tank. Attempting to layer is
even less desirable: the sand grains will fall through th Flourite pretty
quickly. You will not get the result you were after. Straight Flourite is
awesome in all ways but cost. For a small tank, you only need one bag, so you
can't save any money anyway.

Old 18-07-2003, 11:14 AM
Jeff Heimsch

Also if you "layer" it, the layer will be destroyed the first time you
attempt to vacuum the substrate.

Old 18-07-2003, 11:14 AM
Duncan A. McRae

Can one vacuum sand? I haven't investigated it seriously as I envision it
all getting sucked up the Python...

Old 18-07-2003, 11:14 AM
Moontanman

You can vacum sand, it takes a little bit of care. The probelm with mixing sand
with flourite would be the flourite would come to the top and lay on top of the
sand. it happens every time. One of those pesky laws of nature. Large particals
will always work to the top.

Moon
remove nospam from e-mail to send to me, I grow trees in aquariums like bonsai.
I breed dwarf crayfish, great for planted community tanks. If you can get me a
shovelnose sturgeon fingerling (Scaphirhynchus platorynchus) no wild caught
please, contact me
Old 18-07-2003, 11:14 AM
SteveC

Thanks for all the responses. Looks like staight Flourite will be the way to
go.

Thanks again,

--SteveC

"SteveC" wrote in message
Hi, I don't know if this subject has been mentioned before so please

forgive
me
if I am re-hashing a previously discussed topic.

I hear good things about Seachem Flourite and I was thinking about
purchasing Flourite and using
sand instead of gravel to use on top of the flourite.

From prior research, apparently one can use play sand available at your
local home center i.e.
Home Depot, Lowe's etc.

Does anyone know if this is a good combination or should I just use

straight
Flourite and nothing on top or what?

The setup I want to do is a basic 10 gallon tank with a few plants maybe
some
Java Fern and an Amazon sword or two to start.

Thanks in advance,

--SteveC

Undergravel heater, sand and flourite Mark Newcomb Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 12-07-2006 10:57 PM
Sand sand and sand kcchin Gardening 8 15-06-2003 05:20 PM
Flourite + Sand Substrate a good idea? SteveC Freshwater Aquaria Plants 7 27-05-2003 06:20 AM
greatest idea on washing flourite linda mar Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 07:21 AM
what's better for substrate? Lacerite or Flourite? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 10 20-04-2003 07:20 AM