GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   pH 6.3 kH 5 = 50 ppM co2 help (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/37236-ph-6-3-kh-5-%3D-50-ppm-co2-help.html)

David Wee 18-07-2003 11:15 AM

pH 6.3 kH 5 = 50 ppM co2 help

I took my readings today after having freshly installed the onyx Sand, (im
using the Nutrafin "DIY" kit)..

My water straight from the tap: 7.6 pH
1 kH

After water is in the tank
(DIY co2, Onyx Sand) 6.3 pH
5 kH

Why is my pH so low? I heard Onyx Sand has inherent buffering properties
which would help to counteract the falling pH.

Tank is 10 Gallons, the possible reasons I can think are this:

(1) the Co2 Is not being used up fast enough by my "relatively light"
plant load?

(2) the 40 Watts of light are not helping the plants grow fast enough?

(3) A non-plant related issue? The only "chemicals" I used are AmQuel
(chlormaine remover) and TransClear (also by kordon, the thing that makes
the water clear)

LeighMo 18-07-2003 11:15 AM

pH 6.3 kH 5 = 50 ppM co2 help

Why is my pH so low? I heard Onyx Sand has inherent buffering properties
which would help to counteract the falling pH.

If you're injecting CO2, you have to expect the pH to get lower. Even if
you're using Onyx. Increasing KH (which Onyx does) won't reduce the pH swing.
Read about it he

www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm

Judging from your KH and pH values, you may have too much CO2 in your tank.
(Your tank is small, so this is a possibility, even with DIY.) If there are
fish in the tank, you should increase aeration immediately, to drive off some
of the CO2. Try to keep your CO2 in the "green" range of the chart (see above
URL). You can do this by increasing or decreasing aeration, and/or increasing
or decreasing the size of the yeast/sugar batch.

Leigh

-=Almazick=- 18-07-2003 11:15 AM

pH 6.3 kH 5 = 50 ppM co2 help

Reduce CO2 immediately but don't stop because it'll change PH very fast and
your fish might die. Keep your Air Stone 24/7 to increase oxygen in your
tank. Do a little water change (just a little) to increase PH level and
reduce CO2.

-=Almazick=- 18-07-2003 11:15 AM

pH 6.3 kH 5 = 50 ppM co2 help

Also I forgot to mention. You are using Nutrafin Diffuser and you can
adjust the tube to higher position to reduce CO2