GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Snail in my tank, help with I.D. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/37241-snail-my-tank-help-i-d.html)

spider 18-07-2003 11:15 AM

Snail in my tank, help with I.D.

I have a snail in my tank that I would like to have an I.D.
for, please help.

Click link below to see photos.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4xq4m/id5.html

Eric Schreiber 18-07-2003 11:15 AM

Snail in my tank, help with I.D.

"spider" wrote:

I have a snail in my tank that I would like to have an I.D.
for, please help.

Click link below to see photos.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4xq4m/id5.html

That snail looks like what I've been referring to as a "pond snail".
No doubt there are dozens of possible species. The snail probably came
in on some plants that you bought.

I've read mixed opinions on this kind of snail - some people think
they're a serious problem in a planted tank. I've got dozens of these
guys in my heavily planted 20 gallon, and have never noticed any
particular problem with them. They certainly eat algae, but I've never
seen them cause damage to my plants.

They will lay a *lot* of eggs, in tiny gel masses, and certainly could
breed out of control. You can get rid of them several ways -
chemicals, which isn't really recommended, bait/trap, which won't get
rid of them all but can reduce the population, or by adding a fish
that eats them, like a loach. This last choice apparently works very
well, though loaches may not be a good choice in a particular tank.

Personally, I would advise to not worry about them unless they start
to become a serious problem. I occasionally collect a bunch of mine
and put them into a small tank with four dwarf puffers, who apparently
are fond of snails for lunch.

--
www.ericschreiber.com

news.qwest.net 18-07-2003 11:15 AM

Snail in my tank, help with I.D.

I have pond snails in my 75, and I have seen them eat some of my plants. But
they also are on the glass eating algae a lot too. So I let them stay but I
control the numbers by crunching them. I've found that my Rainbows love them
if I crunch the shell first. And my Rosy Barbs have been seen catching a
snail on the gravel moving along, forcefully removing it from the shell for
a snack! That is kind of fun to watch... They didn't start doing that until
I started crunching the shell and dropping them back to the bottom. I guess
the Rosy's decided they didn't want to wait for me... Plus I also have a
dwarf puffer tank I throw them into a lot. The puffers don't let them stay
for long... :-)

Ron

mindmeld 18-07-2003 11:15 AM

Snail in my tank, help with I.D.

i believe they are the same ones i have. and that wouldn't be pond
snails. they are sinistral ie. left-coiled snails. aka. physa :) from
what i've read, all other snails are dextral (right-coiled).

here's some links that will help you tell if it _is_ physa.
http://perso.infonie.be/pomacea/physas_uk.htm
http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.ed.../physidae.html

they are quite pretty but very small and are generally appreciated only
by those that stare at their tank _really_ close.

but, they are also quite prolific. I _just_ finished cleaning my corner
filter (carbon and floss deal) and found that a couple had nested in
there and were trapped. I've freed them into the tank. I'm not worried
they'll run amok. my yo-yo loaches are _more_ than a match for these
creatures.

AcH

mindmeld 18-07-2003 11:16 AM

Snail in my tank, help with I.D.

interesting. the literature i've seen showed pond snails as dextral... i'll have
another check on it.

AcH

LeighMo wrote:

i believe they are the same ones i have. and that wouldn't be pond
snails. they are sinistral ie. left-coiled snails. aka. physa :)

FWIW...the snails American aquarists call "pond snails" *are* Physa species.
There are a lot of different species, from tiny to about 1" long. The general
shape of all of them is sort of football-shaped. I never noticed which way the
shells coiled. I'll have to check it out, when the tank lights go on.

Leigh