Old 18-07-2003, 10:15 AM
Djay

Default CO2 regulator recommendation?

I'm tired of doing the DIY Yeast CO2 constantly. I found a local place that
sells and refills CO2 containers at a reasonable price. Do any of you have
a regulator that you would recommend? While cheaper isn't always better,
I'm looking for a good value and good quality.

TIA,

DJay

Old 18-07-2003, 10:15 AM
Joe Ferenchik

I'm extremely happy with this reliable equipment from Dave Gomberg.
Great equipment and a reasonable price. Get the needle vavle too!!

http://www.wcf.com/co2iron/

works great and has been problem free. The only thing that I've
changed was to add the following diy reactor in place of the eheim
diffuser.

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/diy_reactor.htm

this has allowed me to drop the co2 feed rate to the aquarium and
still keep the same co2 saturation rate (this means better co2
diffusion and a longer run time before co2 cylinder refills). The
$20US or so this reactor has cost has already paid for itself in co2
cost savings as well as wear and tear on the automobile.

In reference to your post below, you're going to "rent" co2 cylinders.
You'll get one that's filled, and when that one is empty, you'll
receive another filled one in exchange for your empty. The reason for
doing this is so that the filling establishment can periodically test
the integrity of the cylinder so that if it's defective it can be
removed from service and destroyed before a catastrophe ensues.

You'll also love the fact that you're done being a yeast chemist ;-)

good luck and hth

joe

Old 18-07-2003, 10:15 AM
-=Almazick=-

To save money, why don't you try Nutrafin CO2 refills. They cost about 5
bucks for 3 packages but each package is good enough for 4 weeks. I'm happy
with it. As you can see for less than 5 bucks you are good for 3 month
supply's.

Almazick

Old 18-07-2003, 10:15 AM
nikolay_kraltchev

The truth is there is no regulator that is better than the others.
Any double gauge CO2 regulators works for our purposes.
You can get a regulator only for $45 (shipping included in this price)
off ebay. That is the cheapest you will find that you can order and
receive in a normal way.

I'd like to hear from anyone about a specific brand being not good for
what we use regulators.

What really makes a difference is the needle valve. The best for the
least money is the Clippard MNV-4K2.
http://www.clippard.com/store/displa...sp?sku=MNV-4K2
Not the most precise control of the CO2, a small turn of the knob
results in big changes of the CO2 flow. But it is a reliable valve
and will not cause fluctuatons of the CO2 bubble rate.

Buying it from Clippard directly will be a total of $25 because of
their handling and shipping. Specialized online aquatic stores sell
it for about $20 and there will be shipping and handling too. So
either way - it will cost at least $25. Well worth it.

MarineMonsters sells it. The 2 other companies that sell it are not
reliable at all, but you may have good luck with them.

The easiest way is to buy an already assembled kit. But it will not
turn out to be $130 for the whole system bottle included.
Also - decide if you need a solenoid or not.

Go with whatever company you are comfortable with. CO2 is not rocket
science and certainly is not as expensive as some online stores make
it - up to $300 for a kit including the bottle. :-)
Old 18-07-2003, 10:15 AM
Djay

I have access to a regulator that is used for nitrogen. Has a high pressure
and low pressure gauge. Is using a regulator intended for nitrogen for a
CO2 system a dangerous idea?

Old 18-07-2003, 10:15 AM
Rex Grigg

On 31 May 2003 06:52:28 -0700,
(nikolay_kraltchev) wrote:

You can also get the Clippard valve from AquaBotanic.com and it
comes with the 10-32 to 1/8" pipe adaptor you will need.

[...]

Semper Fi!

Visit the forums at Aqua Botanic!
http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.cc/#1

Need Nitrate or Potassium for your tank? Go to www.litemanu.com
(Just a happy customer of the above!)
Old 18-07-2003, 10:15 AM
nikolay_kraltchev

What is that, Rex? "In-your-face" advertisement or what?

Aquabotanic is one of the 2 companies that I've had a terrible experience with.
And I'm not the only one.
I personally will never order anything from the individual that runs Aquabotanic.

--Nikolay

Old 18-07-2003, 10:15 AM
BobAlston9

I would suggest rapids wholesale www.rapidswholesale.com for a great
tap-rite regulator.

Take a look at my web site for more info:

http://members.cox.net/tulsaalstons/...Pressure%20CO2

Bob
Old 18-07-2003, 10:16 AM
Robert H

"Djay" wrote in message
I'm tired of doing the DIY Yeast CO2 constantly. I found a local place

that
sells and refills CO2 containers at a reasonable price. Do any of you

have
a regulator that you would recommend? While cheaper isn't always better,
I'm looking for a good value and good quality.

TIA,

DJay

The main problem with industrial regulators or beer restaurant
regulators is that they are high pressure regulators. You need to set
it at a high PSI for it to run, and then its to much pressure coming
out of the regulator for fine ajustment. Most of these do not come
with a needle valve that is used for fine ajustment. You can add a
needle valve to it which brings the pressure down, but the pressure
going into it still needs to be high. A low pressure regulator made
for the aquarium such as Aqua Medic or Dupla only needs a very low
pressure to work which makes it more stable. The Aqua Medic regulator
has a fixed working pressure which makes it very safe and reliable.
Its only $80 something dollars.

High pressure systems can be more prone to leaks, put stress on the
needle valve, and may have the dreaded tank end dump. There are many
horror stories on these forums and APD about tank end dumps. It happed
to me twice using Dave Gombergs regulator before he added a needle
valve to it.

Robert H
www.aquabotanic.com

Old 18-07-2003, 10:16 AM
nikolay_kraltchev

Robert,

Thank you for finally spelling my name correctly/

But there is something else you did not get right:
One more time:

1. I have NEVER ordered a CO2 system from you.
2. I have NEVER talked to my credit company about an undelivered
order. Be it plants or any other merchandise from any other company.

Can you comprehend what I am saying?

You cannot remember anythting of what you are saying because it simply
did NOT happen. Don't you keep documentation ? I already told you to
refer to it, but you can't because it doesn't exist.

(ONCE and only once I ordered plants (NOT a CO2 system) from you.
After 3 weeks of waiting and 4 phone calls (every time talking
personally with you) I received a clump of rotten plants. They were
sent at the wrong address despite me and you confirming 3 times that
my billing address is different than the shipping address.
I sent you pictures of the rotten plants.
All you said in one final e-mail was (literal quote): "they look fine
to me".
There was no punctuation, you did not address me by name, you did not
even put your name under that short line.
I NEVER disputed any charges on my credit card.
$80 down the drain.)

I don't judge you. I am not questioning your knowledge about aquatic
plants (although your own tanks look simply put pathetic).

Haha! "800 members"! About 20 regular members visit "your" forum,
from what I can remember and probably see right now. And they are
only people that you "like". No one is allowed to say anything about
your questonable practices on "your own" forum. Posts like "What
online aquatic plant company is reliable?" are cleaned of all
references to any company other than yours.

I suggest you stop worrying about me.
As I said - I will never order from you.
I don't try to convince anyone to not order from you. I just share my
experience. If it was great I'd have said so.

--Nikolay

(Robert H) wrote in message . com...
I remember the letter I got from your credit card company where you
claimed you never recieved your order. Doesn't say anything about
pictures. Did you try that on the other company you "had trouble" with
too? How many others? I'm glad you have found someone who makes you
happy. Thats the great thing about the internet. There's always
someone for everyone. You should buy from Mark, I am sure he would
love to work with you. He has great plants, good prices too. I'll even
put in a good word for you to him. You should come to my forums
Nikolay. I'll even make you a moderator. I'm sure my 800 members would
be very impressed with your vast knowledge and experience about
plants.

Old 18-07-2003, 10:16 AM

High pressure systems can be more prone to leaks, put stress on the
needle valve, and may have the dreaded tank end dump. There are many
horror stories on these forums and APD about tank end dumps. It happed
to me twice using Dave Gombergs regulator before he added a needle
valve to it.

Robert H
www.aquabotanic.com

So it was the design of the set up, not the regulator itself. Not
having a needle valve is the main issue, not the regulator for the end
of tank dumps and also dumps were the seating on the Ehiem disc gets
loose or the disc gets clogged good, backs up and then blows out lots
of CO2 real fast.

I've been using clippards and beer reg's for over a decade now. Never
any issues, dropped the gas tanks down to zero psi many times over the
years.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 18-07-2003, 10:16 AM
Robert H

"BOB ALSTON" wrote in message news:3ee6a079@shknews01...
Robert H. wrote: "tons of complaints on the net about regulators leaking,
faulty gauges, leaky needle valves, and tank dumps."

Gee - That is not what I have observed on the internet. I am fairly active
on internet planted tank and co2 related forums. I would like to be
educated as to the data documenting the "tons of complaints" so I could be
better informed on this issue.

Bob

Just do a google search and a search in APD. Bob, what is the big
attraction about this regulator that you are always reccomending? What
justifies paying well over $100 for this high pressure regulator when
you can get one from Home Depot for $20 ? Its not made specifically
for aquarium use, yet its more expensive than regulators that are made
for aquariums. What is so special about it?

Robert