Old 18-07-2003, 11:15 AM
Paul

Default Choice of power filter for C02 tank

Just want to try and maximize the effiency of the C02 and I am currently
running a bio wheel power filter on my 46g bow front and am considering
switching to an Aqua Clear. Am I right in thinking that the bio wheel will
dissapate more C02 into the air out of the tank than a regular Aqua Clear?
Thanks.
--
Paul

"You can make it foolproof, but you can't make it Damned foolproof."

Old 18-07-2003, 11:15 AM
LeighMo

Am I right in thinking that the bio wheel will
dissapate more C02 into the air out of the tank than a regular Aqua Clear?

Yes, but an AC also produces quite a bit of surface agitation. It's designed
to do so.

Can you just remove the bio wheel from your current filter?

Leigh

Old 18-07-2003, 11:15 AM
Paul

"LeighMo" wrote in message
Am I right in thinking that the bio wheel will
dissapate more C02 into the air out of the tank than a regular Aqua

Clear?

Yes, but an AC also produces quite a bit of surface agitation. It's

designed
to do so.

Can you just remove the bio wheel from your current filter?

Leigh

Yes, I can remove the bio wheel, however not sure at the moment what can be
done to plug up the spray bar that turns the bio wheel. Have to give a look
tomorrow while doing my cleaning.

Old 18-07-2003, 11:15 AM
LeighMo

Yes, I can remove the bio wheel, however not sure at the moment what can be
done to plug up the spray bar that turns the bio wheel. Have to give a look
tomorrow while doing my cleaning.

Not sure what kind of filter you have, but in many of them, if you remove the
bio-wheel, it works pretty much like an Aquaclear. The water just "waterfalls"
back into the tank. There is less turbulence, because you don't have the
bio-wheel spinning and splashing. And if you keep the water level high, the
water falling back into the tank doesn't cause too much agitation.

Leigh

Old 18-07-2003, 11:15 AM
WD

"Paul" wrote in message

Yes, I can remove the bio wheel, however not sure at the moment what can

be
done to plug up the spray bar that turns the bio wheel. Have to give a

look
tomorrow while doing my cleaning.
--

Put a couple small *brass* screws in the spraybar holes. Just a thought. Not
sure if the back presssure would damage the unit, though.

Old 18-07-2003, 11:16 AM
Alex R

"Paul" wrote in message
Just want to try and maximize the effiency of the C02 and I am currently
running a bio wheel power filter on my 46g bow front and am considering
switching to an Aqua Clear. Am I right in thinking that the bio wheel will
dissapate more C02 into the air out of the tank than a regular Aqua Clear?
Thanks.

I have an AquaClear on my 30-gal. high-light tank and I try to get as much
surface agitation as possible from it. The reason is that it keeps the CO2
stable. If the water level in my tank is low enough so that the output from
the filter does not disturb the surface too much, then I either have a
dangerously high level of CO2 at night or an insufficiently low level during
the day, depending on my CO2 output. But if I have the tank water level high
so that the filtered water flows along the surface and agitates it, I can
keep the CO2 level high and still have a daily pH swing of about 0.1. So if
you use pressurized CO2, don't worry too much about surface agitation.
__
Alex
pcalex (at) hotpop.com