Old 18-07-2003, 10:15 AM
Barry Byrne

Default Blue Green Algae (cyanobacteria) & Erythromycin

Just curious what the 'latest' thinking was on killing cyanobacteria
with erythromycin was?

Been reading The Krib, and this seems to be the best solution for my
tank, which has a huge outbreak since removing my floating wisteria
plants.
Old 18-07-2003, 10:16 AM
Iain Miller

"Barry Byrne" wrote in message
Just curious what the 'latest' thinking was on killing cyanobacteria
with erythromycin was?

Been reading The Krib, and this seems to be the best solution for my
tank, which has a huge outbreak since removing my floating wisteria
plants.

Don't know what country you are in but here in the UK Erythromycin is not
obtainable over the counter....if you do get some I would think you'd need
to be quite careful with it - it is an antibiotic after all.

Interpet seem to now do an anti-slime algae treatment - you might want to
look into that (I've never tried it & have no idea what's in it!). I had a
bit of Slime Algae in one of my tanks a couple of months ago - just sucking
it out with a syphon over a week or two seems to have god rid of it & I
havn't seen it since.

rgds

Iain

Old 18-07-2003, 10:16 AM

"Iain Miller" wrote in message ...
[...]

BGA is easy to get rid of in 3 days. Whether or not it comes back will
be up to you. You'll know what to do next time you get it and why it
often appears.

3 day black out. But you have to go in, clean well, trim, remove as
much as you can first. Use a net, get rid of all detrital floating
matter etc. Clean filter. Turn off CO2, do 50% water change(add KNO3
at this time), cover up so that no light at all gets in.
Remove after 3 days, net up any junk, do a 50% water change, add all
nutrients back into the tank.

Now keep up on the NO3, PO4, K, Traces and most importantly, the CO2.

The plants did not do well when you use an algicide, most plants don't
since they have the same pathways algae do. That method is no better
than a blackout.

The key is to grow the plants well, not kill algae. You have algae
because your plants are not doing well at some point for too long.
Once you correct conditions in the tank, you need to remove the algae
that is already there and established. THEN correct conditions. Don't
correct conditions and expect the algae to keel over and die, attack
the algae by removing it from the tank. That + good conditions takes
care of most all algae issues. Herbivores top that process off and
insure even more plants dominance.

Better to take care of that before spending $ on algae kills and
antibiotics not to mention your own time. You cannot do much without
addressing CO2 levels/nutrient levels. Need to get at the root cause,
not simply treat a symptom. Black out will kill the algae faster than
the antibiotics and it doesn't cost a thing.

Note:
Blackout will cause the Gloss to become leggy, the other plants will
be fine.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 18-07-2003, 10:16 AM
Jeremy Pemberton

Ghori that sounds interesting. One of the tanks at home has a bad
case of a brownish slimy algae that covers everything (glass, plants,
rocks, etc), its my father's tank and he has been fighting hard to get
rid of the algae with "Algae Killer" and heavy water changes however
so far no luck.

The tank's water goes murky around midday and returns to clarity in
the mornings and evenings. Weird!!

What is the H2O2 method you mention? Pour some in the tank or pull
the plants out and wash them in H2O2?

Jeremy

Old 18-07-2003, 10:16 AM
Ghazanfar Ghori

H2O2 works best on BGA. It has little effect on any other form.
Make sure you've got BGA. Its easy to tell if its BGA - its got
a VERY distinct earthly smell, and its very soft - you can rub it
off very easily. Usually its dark green in color. If that is indeed what
you have, then read this...
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Algae/...-peroxide.html
If its got your entire tank, it'll be hard to spot treat, and the amount
of H202 you might endup using may hurt your plants a fish. Go with
Tom Barrs reccomendation. If I see a little of it starting up (do to some
kind of neglect or poor water circulation) I'll spot treat it and it goes
away within 2 days.

However, since you say its brownish, I have some doubts that
you have BGA. You may have brown algae - diatoms. Add in
2 ottos per 10G of tank and they should be able to clean it
off pretty quickly.

Water getting hazy could be several things. It could be a slight case
of green water or a bacteria bloom.

Old 18-07-2003, 10:16 AM
LeighMo

One of the tanks at home has a bad
case of a brownish slimy algae that covers everything (glass, plants,
rocks, etc), its my father's tank and he has been fighting hard to get
rid of the algae with "Algae Killer" and heavy water changes however
so far no luck.

For brown algae (which is what your father's tank seems to have), get an
otocinclus catfish or three. They are small, and are happiest in groups, so
get more than one, if you can. They will make short work of brown algae.

But make sure the algae killer has cleared the tank before introducing any new
fish. New fish tend to be stressed, and may not tolerate toxins well.

Leigh

Old 18-07-2003, 10:16 AM
Jeffrey Girard

Jeremy,

Do a Google search on a long writeup I did on my experiences with H2O2 and
Cyanobacteria. It was posted on 5/2/03.

Jeff

om...