Old 18-07-2003, 10:16 AM
KELLY BURGESS

Default CO2 DIY

I have read a little on DIY CO2 injectors, and want to make one when I
eventually buy an aquarium.
I read that the tube from the plastic bottle is connected to the intake tube
of the filter.
Will this not pull the yeast/sugar/water mix from the bottle into the
filter?As I was thinking of buying a canister type filter

How exactly is this DIY CO2 kit setup?

Thank you for any help you are able to give .

Old 18-07-2003, 10:16 AM
DaveS

On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 10:25:39 GMT, "KELLY BURGESS"
wrote:

I have read a little on DIY CO2 injectors, and want to make one when I
eventually buy an aquarium.
I read that the tube from the plastic bottle is connected to the intake tube
of the filter.
Will this not pull the yeast/sugar/water mix from the bottle into the
filter?As I was thinking of buying a canister type filter

How exactly is this DIY CO2 kit setup?

Thank you for any help you are able to give .

You need to leave an air gap between the yeast/sugar/water solution
and the top of the bottle. The filter won't be able to pull the
solution out of the bottle then. I have my airline running straight
into my Fluval 404 with no problems.

Dave

Old 18-07-2003, 10:16 AM
Jak Crow

wrote:

I have read a little on DIY CO2 injectors, and want to make one when I
eventually buy an aquarium.
I read that the tube from the plastic bottle is connected to the intake tube
of the filter.
Will this not pull the yeast/sugar/water mix from the bottle into the
filter?As I was thinking of buying a canister type filter

How exactly is this DIY CO2 kit setup?

Thank you for any help you are able to give .

You need to leave an air gap between the yeast/sugar/water solution
and the top of the bottle. The filter won't be able to pull the
solution out of the bottle then. I have my airline running straight
into my Fluval 404 with no problems.

How do you have running "into" your filter?

Old 18-07-2003, 10:16 AM
Daniel Whiting

Mine runs into my power filter.. Works great because the impeller chops
the bubbles quite nicely to allow it to diffuse more easily. Of course
for me, the downside is the splashing and surface turbulence, but I'm
fine with that for now.

Some say that it may lower the life of the filter since it's not
designed to have that burst of air every few seconds, but I don't notice
any side effects.

Old 18-07-2003, 10:16 AM
Duncan A. McRae

I started by drilling holes into the bottom of the filter tubes/inlets, but
I found that annoying whenever I wanted to remove the tube for cleaning &tc.
I have settled on a slightly less attractive method; I put a small
imitation-Tupperware "cup" (3 for a buck at the local buck store) over the
end of the tube, and put the CO2 tube into an air stone beneath it. When I
have the time and inclination, I'll likely drill holes in the cup for the
CO2 tubing, just as I did in the top of the juice jugs. Positioning the air
stone under the cup can be an annoyance, and is often required after water
changes or anything else that nudges the tube out of position.