Old 18-07-2003, 10:16 AM
dean coclonis

Default position of co2 defuser

I am running a wet/dry trickle system on a 100gal tank with the defuser in
the sump - the outlet is directed straight at the inlet of the return pump
which directs the return to minimise surface disturbance. I seem to get an
inconsistant growth rate across the tank

tank setup is
10 discus
20 or so rummy nose tetras
20 or so bleeding heart tetras
10 cory catfish
2 bristlenose

10% weekly water change
using dupla laterrite
an Australian product Aquasonic basic Grow and daily drops
1.9WPG
trickle filter
fluval 404
PH 7
KH 6
FE 1.0
with presurised CO2

and I know some one is going to tell me the fish load is bit high but no
problems to date

Old 18-07-2003, 10:16 AM
Alex R

"dean coclonis" wrote in message
. ..
I am running a wet/dry trickle system on a 100gal tank with the defuser in
the sump - the outlet is directed straight at the inlet of the return pump
which directs the return to minimise surface disturbance. I seem to get

an
inconsistant growth rate across the tank

What exactly do you mean by an inconsistent growth rate across the tank? Are
you saying that plants in one location grow better than in another? If
that's the case, it's unlikely that it's due to some kind of an uneven CO2
distribution in the water. I don't know how that could happen, unless the
circulation is very poor, which I doubt is happening with your equipment.
Maybe the the light intensity simply varies across the tank (because tall
plants are blocking the light in some places).

using dupla laterrite
an Australian product Aquasonic basic Grow and daily drops

Do those products list their composition? I'd make sure they include all the
essential micronutrients. You don't say if you dose any macronutrients
(KNO3, K2SO4, etc). If you don't, perhaps your plants are limited in
potassium or nitrate, which would cause the growth rate to be slow. In a
nutrient-poor environment, some plants will outcompete others for nutrients
and grow better.

fluval 404
PH 7
KH 6

That only means 18 ppm CO2. I would increase the CO2 flow a little to make
it be around 25 ppm. Don't worry about surface agitation in your trickle
filter driving off the CO2. More agitation causes the CO2 level to be more
stable.
__
Alex
pcalex (at) hotpop.com

Old 18-07-2003, 10:16 AM
dean coclonis

Aquasonic's basic grow quotes that the producted is presented in a liquid
form with several of the important nutrients chelated, these include iron
and maganese The Daily grow supplies iron and full range of trace elements
so it looks as if the potassium and nitrates may be bit low. Have been
relying on the fish load for the nitrates but will try and source PMDD and
give that a go. I tried to find out what was in their (Aquasonics) solutions
a while ago but was told it was a proprietry product and was unable to give
the information so I asked for a Material Safety Data Sheet but they gave me
a pretty good reason for not being able to supply that also.

will try a ph 6.8 and kh 6 should give me a co2 mg/litre of 28 on the dupla
system

Old 18-07-2003, 10:16 AM
Jak Crow

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 20:03:52 +0930, "dean coclonis"
wrote:

[...]

I've read that wet/dry filters will release the CO2 from the water faster.