Old 18-07-2003, 10:16 AM
Andrey Tarasevich

Default White slime at the CO2 nozzle

Hello

So, what's the last word (if there's any) about the nature of that white
slime that tends to collect in Nutrafin diffuser at the point where CO2
bubbles enter the diffuser? Quick search on Google reveals that many people
believe that this is some product of the brewing process, which travels
trough the tubing from the bottle to the tank. However, somehow I find it
hard to believe that any substance heavier than gas could travel such long
distance in upward direction. Moreover, how come I don't see any traces of
this stuff in the check valve? Does it need to be in contact with water to
become visible?

--
Best regards,
Andrey Tarasevich

Old 18-07-2003, 10:16 AM
Alex R

"Andrey Tarasevich" wrote in message
Hello

So, what's the last word (if there's any) about the nature of that white
slime that tends to collect in Nutrafin diffuser at the point where CO2
bubbles enter the diffuser? Quick search on Google reveals that many

people
believe that this is some product of the brewing process, which travels
trough the tubing from the bottle to the tank. However, somehow I find it
hard to believe that any substance heavier than gas could travel such long
distance in upward direction. Moreover, how come I don't see any traces of
this stuff in the check valve? Does it need to be in contact with water to
become visible?

It's not the white slime that travels up the tube into the diffuser. The
slime is actually bacteria growth that feeds on gases produced in the yeast
chamber. With yeast CO2, there are all kinds of gases entering the tank
besides CO2.
__
Alex
pcalex (at) hotpop.com

Old 18-07-2003, 10:16 AM
JR

What are the other gases that come from yeast CO2 systems?

JR,

Old 18-07-2003, 10:16 AM
Alex R

"JR" wrote in message
What are the other gases that come from yeast CO2 systems?

That I'm not sure about. Perhaps evaporated alcohol? In any case, compared
to the CO2, the other biproducts are in trace amounts.
__
Alex

Dogwood Slime - Medium - Dogwood Slime - Med.JPG [01/27] Dogwood Slime - Medium - Dogwood Slime Salty Thumb Gardening 0 15-04-2004 02:32 AM
Dogwood Slime - Medium - Dogwood Slime - Med.JPG [01/27] Dogwood Slime - Medium - Dogwood Slime Janice Gardening 0 15-04-2004 01:02 AM
Dogwood Slime - Medium - Dogwood Slime - Med.JPG [01/27] Dogwood Slime - Medium - Dogwood Slime Lynne Gardening 0 14-04-2004 04:32 PM
Old style sprinkler nozzle Patrick Gardening 0 29-06-2003 09:20 PM
White slime at the CO2 nozzle Andrey Tarasevich Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 07-06-2003 07:32 PM