Old 18-07-2003, 11:16 AM
Bob A

Default ditching CO2

This is not really a question, unless someone has some specific advice, or
sees something wrong with what I'm doing here.

I have been using DIY CO2 in my 55g tank, heavily planted, 2wpg, for quite a
while. I just could not keep the pH stable. I was quite worried about
swings from 6.4 to 7.4 and the like, affecting the fish. The CO2 worked
great, it would just go up fast and down fast.

Over the past 2-3 weeks I simply did not replace the CO2 mix. I watched
carefully to see how high the pH would go, and it stabilized at 7.6.
Hopefully it will remain stable. Phyl at (the now "no longer")
TrueAquariumPlants said that I did not really need/have to have CO2, but I
wanted to try it. My plants are doing well, (in some cases too well
grin), so.... that's about it. Oh... KH is 4-5.

I do want to add that this ng is and has been a great help to me, and a
wealth of knowledge. I appreciate that. I also appreciate the efforts of
those of you who send out plants for only the fair s/h.

best to all,

bob

Old 18-07-2003, 11:16 AM
Bob A

I agree with you Nikolay, from my experience so far. What I've done is cut
back on the ferts and lighting duration, since there is no "extra" CO2. So
far, so good.

thanks!

bob

"nikolay_kraltchev" wrote in message
om...
Bob,

Depending on the fish load, light intenstity, and the natural balance
established in the tank you may not need CO2 at all. Even the light
doesn't need to be specific Kelvins or wave lengths.

Mechanical circulation is something optional too, believe it or not.

And yes the plants will do very (or even extremely well) under such
"primitive" conditions.

You will not be able to grow all plants though. And it takes time for
such a tank to establish. But it is possible. I have done it and
many people do it with small tanks that they don't want to tinker too
much with because of strong light, CO2, and ferts.

The bottom line in this hobby is "Are the plants doing great?". Not
"Is the light (CO2, ferts, ferts) great?"

--Nikolay

Old 18-07-2003, 11:17 AM
Frank Mamone

Agreed. I have recently ditched mine too and enjoy the slower growth. The
maintenance was killing me.

It's a 25 gallon tank with ~2WPG.