Old 19-07-2003, 03:12 PM
Bill Beam

Default CO2 - Here's the straight sh*(

CO2 helps one thing grow in your tank and it ain't plants - it's algae

DO NOT USE CO2 - This is no troll - I've tried for one year now and it
makes black hair algae grow like mad - save yourself money and
trouble. Just don't do it.
Old 19-07-2003, 07:42 PM
Rex Grigg

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 13:10:03 GMT, Bill Beam
wrote:

Are you using DIY or pressurized? How much light do you have over the
tank? I ask because you are full of sh*t on this subject. I have
four CO2 injected tanks that are 99% algae free.

CO2 helps one thing grow in your tank and it ain't plants - it's algae

DO NOT USE CO2 - This is no troll - I've tried for one year now and it
makes black hair algae grow like mad - save yourself money and
trouble. Just don't do it.

Semper Fi!

Visit the forums at Aqua Botanic!
http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.cc/#1

Need Nitrate or Potassium for your tank? Go to www.litemanu.com
(Just a happy customer of the above!)
Old 19-07-2003, 08:02 PM
donovan n

"Bill Beam" wrote in message
CO2 helps one thing grow in your tank and it ain't plants - it's algae

DO NOT USE CO2 - This is no troll - I've tried for one year now and it
makes black hair algae grow like mad - save yourself money and
trouble. Just don't do it.

If you have too much of one thing and not enough of another, algae will
grow. But as long as everything is balanced (CO2, Lighting, and nutrients)
and you have plants capable of growing fast enough to take advantage of it;
you won't have a problem with algae.
It is difficult to find that proper balance, tho.
--donovan

Old 19-07-2003, 08:22 PM
Ron Nelson

What level are you keeping your co2 at? I've found that as long as I get the
co2 up to 25 - 30 ppm and keep it there any algae I have in the tank fades
away as long as I keep everything else in balance.

Ron

Old 19-07-2003, 08:55 PM

Bill Beam wrote in message . ..
CO2 helps one thing grow in your tank and it ain't plants - it's algae

DO NOT USE CO2 - This is no troll - I've tried for one year now and it
makes black hair algae grow like mad - save yourself money and
trouble. Just don't do it.

So if what you say is true, why don't I have algae after 15 years?

Is it the CO2 or is it how you use it?

Why doesn't Amano and a few thousand other folks have algae problems
then?

Magic water? Voodoo?

You have failed somewhere along the line(this is how we learn), but
rather than giving up, maybe try to figure out why and why many other
folks have nice planted tanks. If they can do it, so should you.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Old 19-07-2003, 11:07 PM
Tony K

"Bill Beam" wrote in message
CO2 helps one thing grow in your tank and it ain't plants - it's algae

DO NOT USE CO2 - This is no troll - I've tried for one year now and it
makes black hair algae grow like mad - save yourself money and
trouble. Just don't do it.

I have been using CO2 for 6 months and have nice plants and far less of an
algae problem than I had before I started using CO2. In fact it isn't a
problem anymore.

Old 19-07-2003, 11:42 PM
Alex R

"Bill Beam" wrote in message
CO2 helps one thing grow in your tank and it ain't plants - it's algae

DO NOT USE CO2 - This is no troll - I've tried for one year now and it
makes black hair algae grow like mad - save yourself money and
trouble. Just don't do it.

CO2 alone will not eradicate algae. It's just one nutrient among many that
plants need. You also need to provide nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus, and
all the trace elements in abundance in order for your plants to be able to
outcompete the algae. And you can't hope to do that without CO2. Unless you
have low lighting, I'm betting your algae will be even worse without CO2
injection.
__
Alex
pcalex (at) hotpop.com

Old 20-07-2003, 03:53 AM
Boris

Hey Bill?...What form of co2 are you using?...

The type that comes out of your ass? Give me a break!
Boris

Old 20-07-2003, 05:02 AM
LeighMo

DO NOT USE CO2 - This is no troll - I've tried for one year now and it
makes black hair algae grow like mad - save yourself money and
trouble. Just don't do it.

Depends on your lighting. CO2 isn't necessary for a low-light tank. But for a
high-light tank (over 3 wpg), it's essential. That much light without CO2 will
not cause algae problems, it may also lead to pH swings severe enough to kill
your fish.

Though studies have shown that CO2 helps moderate-light tanks, possibly even
more than high-light tanks, IME, it's not worth it. The plants grow fine
without it, the pH is stable, and all CO2 gets you more time pruning. So if
you have 2 wpg or less over your tank, then yes, your life may be easier
without CO2.

Leigh

Old 20-07-2003, 06:12 AM
Eric Schreiber

Bill Beam wrote:

CO2 helps one thing grow in your tank and it ain't plants - it's algae
DO NOT USE CO2 - This is no troll - I've tried for one year now and it
makes black hair algae grow like mad - save yourself money and
trouble. Just don't do it.

It may not be a troll, but it's certainly the uninformed ranting of
someone who obviously doesn't know what he's doing or talking about.

--
www.ericschreiber.com

Old 20-07-2003, 10:33 AM
Robert H

wrote:

Are you using DIY or pressurized? How much light do you have over the
tank? I ask because you are full of sh*t on this subject. I have
four CO2 injected tanks that are 99% algae free.

CO2 helps one thing grow in your tank and it ain't plants - it's algae

DO NOT USE CO2 - This is no troll - I've tried for one year now and it
makes black hair algae grow like mad - save yourself money and
trouble. Just don't do it.

Semper Fi!

Visit the forums at Aqua Botanic!
http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.cc/#1

Need Nitrate or Potassium for your tank? Go to www.litemanu.com
(Just a happy customer of the above!)

People often blame one single factor as the cause of their tank
problems, particularly algae. It is much easier than to spend the time
tinkering around to pin point the real cause: to achieve that perfect
balance and equalibrium, and even then algae has a tendencey to sneak
back in. Algae is a fact of life in an aquarium that you can control,
minimize or just plain live with.

Robert Hudson
www.aquabotanic.com
Red cherry shrimp!!
Old 20-07-2003, 05:28 PM
Racf

"Bill Beam" wrote in message
CO2 helps one thing grow in your tank and it ain't plants - it's algae

DO NOT USE CO2 - This is no troll - I've tried for one year now and it
makes black hair algae grow like mad - save yourself money and
trouble. Just don't do it.

Actually, posting something like this....in this group....is definitely
a troll.

If it is not intended as a troll.....then good for you. Don't add extra
CO2 if it does not work for you.......

Old 21-07-2003, 04:27 AM

"Bill Beam" wrote in message

CO2 helps one thing grow in your tank and it ain't plants - it's algae

DO NOT USE CO2 - This is no troll - I've tried for one year now and it
makes black hair algae grow like mad - save yourself money and
trouble. Just don't do it.

I'd like to hear why he thinks this in more detail.
Slapping with insults is not going to get any discourse.
Non carbon enriched tanks also work well. He may be more suited to
those routines.

Bill, if you will try it one more time I'll agree to go through it
with you and see hopefully that you get it right and keep up on it
with a managable routine you can live with.

If you tossed in the towel, good luck, sorry it did not work out.
Marine planted tanks are very nice and need no CO2 added.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 21-07-2003, 07:25 AM
~Vicki ~

I don't use CO2 in my tanks either, but it does not mean that it does
not work. Every tank is different that is all.

Vicki

Answer to the straight cut pruning method - for the second time! Martin Roses 6 25-08-2004 03:21 PM
Straight cut pruning Martin Gardening 0 21-08-2004 10:45 AM
Straight cut pruning Martin United Kingdom 0 21-08-2004 10:45 AM
potting straight into coconut chips Stuie Orchids 2 11-01-2004 04:02 PM
Tornadoes, Straight Line Winds and now, COWS! Helena Handbasket Bonsai 0 19-05-2003 08:08 PM