Old 19-07-2003, 11:05 PM
guess who

Default "Tribbles"???

I recently saw a little balls of what looked to be algae in the LFS. They
had them labled as "Tribbles". What's up with this plant? Is it just a ball
of some sort of moss or what? What are it's requirements? Would anyone
suggest this as an addition to my tank? They look kinda interesting so I'm
thinking about getting one or two but with a name like "tribble" I'm kinda
hesitant (I have seen the Star Trek episode about the "tribbles" and don't
want a tank full of little "algae balls").
Thnx.

Old 20-07-2003, 04:02 AM
LeighMo

I recently saw a little balls of what looked to be algae in the LFS. They
had them labled as "Tribbles". What's up with this plant? Is it just a ball
of some sort of moss or what? What are it's requirements? Would anyone
suggest this as an addition to my tank? They look kinda interesting so I'm
thinking about getting one or two but with a name like "tribble" I'm kinda
hesitant (I have seen the Star Trek episode about the "tribbles" and don't
want a tank full of little "algae balls").
Thnx.

It's Cladophora. A form of algae. But don't worry, it won't take over your
tank. It will stay in a ball, and not spread.

And it's not tribble-like when it comes to reproduction. It will get bigger,
but it won't divide (unless you divide it). They can get as big as a human
head. (It will be hollow inside by then.) But they are very slow-growing, and
take a long time to reach that size.

They are very undemanding, and well-suited to a low or moderate-light tank.
You just have to squeeze the mulm out of them once in awhile (like a sponge!).

Leigh

Old 21-07-2003, 12:32 AM
Victor M. Martinez

D. S. wrote:
Is there a web site where I can see/buy them??

I bought mine from http://aquatic-store.com/, very good service, quickly
replaced a water lilly that died, no charge at all for the replacement.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old 21-07-2003, 12:49 AM
LeighMo

Is there a web site where I can see/buy them??

Try www.floridadriftwood.com

http://www.floridadriftwood.com/prod...08&1=216&3=552

Leigh