Old 21-07-2003, 01:16 AM
newbie

Default help... newbie

hello, hoping you can provide a link to the faq....

also... i have an eclipse system 6 that i have one goldfish living in
happily for about 2 years now. not enough time to do anything more
complicated with this time. kind of sad since in college i had a couple
of marine reef tanks going at once.

my goal is to set up a bunch of live plants in this tank. maybe one or two
fix, maybe some other critters. i need something with minimal maintenance,
cheap and simple.

what plants, fish, or other critters do you recommend ? what tecniques as
far as plant density, and water management (water changes, additives, etc).

looking forward to any help you can provide (or web links).

Old 22-07-2003, 01:06 AM
LeighMo

my goal is to set up a bunch of live plants in this tank. maybe one or two
fix, maybe some other critters. i need something with minimal maintenance,
cheap and simple.

You should probably find another home for your goldfish first. Goldfish love
to eat plants. An Eclipse 6 is too small for a goldfish anyway. Goldfish need
20-30 gallons each, and are happier in groups.

what plants, fish, or other critters do you recommend ? what tecniques as
far as plant density, and water management (water changes, additives, etc).

looking forward to any help you can provide (or web links).

Here's a brief overview to start you off:

http://www.fortunecity.com/lavender/.../881/setup.htm

With an Eclipse, the easiest thing to do is to keep it low-light. It's not
easy to upgrade the lighting on an Eclipse. Also, the low-light plants are the
ones least likely to be eaten by goldfish, if you decide to keep the fish you
have.

Leigh

Old 22-07-2003, 03:08 AM
hjgfjgd

Leigh, thanks for your feedback. 20-30 gallons seems a bit much for a
25 cent goldfish that is 1.5 inches long. Did I mislead by saying
goldfish, or is a fish this size really supposed to have 25 gallons to
itself ? I hear you about them preferring to be in groups, but I won't
get more if you think this one is already overcrowded.

I will assume that you mean that the current (stock) lighting in my
eclipse tank is considered "low-light". I will hit the link you
provided and dig for more info.

tose (LeighMo) wrote in
:

Old 22-07-2003, 07:32 AM
Chuck Gadd

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 00:52:07 GMT, hjgfjgd wrote:

Leigh, thanks for your feedback. 20-30 gallons seems a bit much for a
25 cent goldfish that is 1.5 inches long. Did I mislead by saying
goldfish, or is a fish this size really supposed to have 25 gallons to

Goldfish grow big, much too big for a tiny tank.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua

Old 23-07-2003, 12:23 AM
LeighMo

20-30 gallons seems a bit much for a
25 cent goldfish that is 1.5 inches long.

Your goldfish is stunted (probably due to poor water quality). If you've
really had him for two years, he should be 6" or bigger. My friend has two
goldfish in a 75 gallon tank, and they reached 8" each in eight months.

See this article on goldfish stocking:

http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish/li...&RecordNo=3769

Despite the stereotype, goldfish aren't suited to be kept in bowls or small
tanks. They get too large and produce too much waste. A lot of people think
goldfish are small and short-lived. Kept in a bowl, they will be. In proper
conditions, they can get live decades and get to be 16" long.

I will assume that you mean that the current (stock) lighting in my
eclipse tank is considered "low-light".

Just about every tank you buy comes with a low-light hood. This is
intentional, to minimize algae growth in the tank. But if there's not enough
light for algae, there's not enough light for most plants, either.

Leigh