Old 06-03-2003, 11:39 AM
Greg Dalton

Default SNAILS on plants

I picked up some snails on the last introduction of plants into the
tank...

What are some good fish that I can add (or one fish) that will eat the
snails but leave
the plants alone??

Thanks

Old 06-03-2003, 11:51 AM
Bartek Lipczynski

Hi

What are some good fish that I can add (or one fish) that will eat the
snails but leave
the plants alone??

IMHO you can invite to your tank:
Botia sidthimunki:
http://www.loaches.com/species_pages...thimunki.shtml
or
Botia dario: http://www.loaches.com/species_pages/botia_dario.shtml

--
Regards / Pozdrawiam
Bartek Lipczynski

Old 06-03-2003, 04:03 PM
Daryn

Yoyo loaches (lohachata botia) ate my tank clean of snails and don't bother
the plants at all (java fern, dwarf sagittaria, ozelot sword). I'm breeding
snails in another tank because my yoyos eat them too fast. And the yoyo are
lots of fun to watch (like fishy kittens).

Old 06-03-2003, 04:27 PM
kush

I have two lohachatas who used to specialize in uprooting plants,
particularly newly planted vals, sags and stem cuttings. I exiled them to a
2 1/2 gallon nursery tank for a couple of months and they've been much
better behaved since I let them come home.

news

Old 06-03-2003, 07:52 PM
E. Mito

In article , Greg Dalton
writes:

What are some good fish that I can add (or one fish) that will eat the
snails but leave
the plants alone??

Freshwater pufferfish will eat snails, but you may have a hard time with fish
compatibility. I'm trying to see if my LFS can get a hold of some dwarf
pufferfish (they supposedly grow no larger than 2" long) and am planning to
commit a 10 gallon tank to them. This way I'll have my "snail processing" tank
where I can throw in the excess snails from all of my other tanks.

They appealed to me be because they are so small (I would like to have gotten
clown loaches, but they would probably get too big for my 20 and I don't want
to overstock my 55), and because they just look cool. They apparently like
planted areas, too, but we'll see.

Erica
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/mitoem/mitoem/index.htm

Old 06-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Daryn

Let me amend my statement, please change
"my yoyos don't bother the plants at all"
"yoyos don't eat the plants at all, but they dig them up quite often"

"kush" wrote in message
I have two lohachatas who used to specialize in uprooting plants,
particularly newly planted vals, sags and stem cuttings. I exiled them to

2 1/2 gallon nursery tank for a couple of months and they've been much
better behaved since I let them come home.

news

Old 06-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Aqua

Yoyo loaches (lohachata botia) ate my tank clean of snails and don't
bother
the plants at all (java fern, dwarf sagittaria, ozelot sword). I'm

breeding
snails in another tank because my yoyos eat them too fast. And the yoyo

are
lots of fun to watch (like fishy kittens).

I heard that they (yoyo) are good at eating Shrimps too. Isn't?

--
Thank You

Dominic
http://www.dlink.org/aqua

Old 07-03-2003, 12:34 AM
kush

Aqua wrote ....

I heard that they (yoyo) are good at eating Shrimps too.

I would expect that them to. They either eat or annoy-to-death everything
very much slower and smaller than themselves. I have a couple of ghosties
in with mine now, but my botias are very old, fat and nearsighted and may
not realize they're there. Nevertheless, shrimp (or anything else) could
never reproduce in a tank with botias.

--
* * * * *

-David Hume

Old 07-03-2003, 12:34 AM
kush

kush wrote ...

I would expect that them to.

Stop me, before I type again!

* * * * *

-David Hume

Old 07-03-2003, 12:34 AM
LeighMo

Nevertheless, shrimp (or anything else) could
never reproduce in a tank with botias.

They can with Botia macracanthus. My clown loaches are hell on snails, but
they leave shrimp and fish alone. My ghost shrimp bred like bunnies and took
over the tank, while six 5" clown loaches were in residence. The platies also
bred like crazy. The snails, OTOH, were exterminated. (And so were a lot of
plants, so I don't recommend clown loaches for snail control in a planted
tank.)

The clown loaches are currently living with a bunch of amano shrimp. They
don't seem to bother them, either. In fact, I have a picture in my gallery of
an Amano shrimp sharing an algae wafer with a clown loach.

Leigh

Old 07-03-2003, 12:34 AM
kush

LeighMo wrote ...

They can with Botia macracanthus. My clown loaches ...

Right, got it, I should stick to what I know about. I should have said yoyo
botias.

Before I knew better, I had my yoyos in a guppy tank for a while. I
couldn't figure out why I never saw any baby guppies until I realized that
the yoyos were swimming along right behind the female guppies eating the fry
as they were born.

--
* * * * *

-David Hume

deserve neither liberty nor safety. "
-Benjamin Franklin

"I love quotations because it is a joy to find thoughts one might have,
beautifully expressed with much authority by someone recognizably wiser than
oneself. "
-Marlene Dietrich