GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   need to find healthy aquarium plants -Eastern Iowa (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/38212-need-find-healthy-aquarium-plants-eastern-iowa.html)

Dennis Fox 25-07-2003 04:32 AM

need to find healthy aquarium plants -Eastern Iowa

Hello all,

I need to add some plants to my freshwater tanks, but the LFS's around
here only seem to have pathetic, sick-and-dying plants.

Where is there a decent source of plants in the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City
area (where I live) or in the Quad Cities area (where I work)?

I have seen that one can order plants from some websites. What kind of
experience have people had doing this? Do the plants arrive in healthy
condition? Or at least salvagable?

Also a plant care question:

I already have one Amazon Sword and one Moneywort ... both growing well
in one tank. I can see that the Sword can easily be split in two at
the rhyzome/roots, and am about to do that. I have no idea how to deal
with the moneywort, which is tall enough to need pruning. How can I
safely "multiply" it?

Thanks for any leads!
Dennis

LeighMo 26-07-2003 03:02 AM

need to find healthy aquarium plants -Eastern Iowa

I need to add some plants to my freshwater tanks, but the LFS's around
here only seem to have pathetic, sick-and-dying plants.

I hope you research plants as carefully as you would fish. You can't just
throw any old plants in any old tank and expect them to grow. Most plants sold
as aquarium plants are not suited for the average tank, either because they
require too much light, or because they are bog plants, and will die if
submerged permanently in a fishtank.

If you're new, read this page:

http://www.fortunecity.com/lavender/.../881/setup.htm

It will give you an idea of the kind of decisions you'll have to make if you
want to set up a planted tank.

Also see these pages:

www.tropica.com

http://faq.thekrib.com/plant-list.html

In particular, check to make sure any plants you plan to buy are true aquatics,
and that you have enough light for them. (A standard tank hood has only low
lighting.)

I have seen that one can order plants from some websites. What kind of
experience have people had doing this? Do the plants arrive in healthy
condition? Or at least salvagable?

I've ordered from aquaticplantdepot.com, twice, and was very happy with the
product and service. The plants arrived in great shape. And there's no
minimum order, like many places have.

You might also consider getting plants from your fellow hobbyists. Cedar
Rapids is probably a large enough city that there's a fish club. They might
have auctions and such, where you can get great plants cheap. People on the
newsgroup also give away plant clippings for the cost of the postage.

I have no idea how to deal
with the moneywort, which is tall enough to need pruning. How can I
safely "multiply" it?

Moneywort is a stem plant. You can just cut off the tops and replant them.
They'll root, and the bottoms will re-grow.

Leigh

Josh 26-07-2003 07:12 AM

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 22:25:14 -0500, Dennis Fox wrote:

[...]

Hey, I know this is kind of a drive but ya... Have you ever thought of
going up to the Twin Cities area??? Minneapolis/St Paul... There is a
store there i know that seems to have a pretty good plant section and
all the plants always look healty... It is called A World of Fish in
Minneapolis, just past the Mall of America alittle ways. They have a
website www.worldoffish.com ... hope that can help...

marc 24-08-2003 07:12 PM

need to find healthy aquarium plants -Eastern Iowa

Just cut the moneywort wherever and it will multiply

Marcus
Http://www.Aquatic-store.com This weeks sales co2 tanks
Co2 regulator, bubble counter and needle valve $75.20

Webboard

http://aquatic.yupapa.com/phpbb/index.php