Old 06-03-2003, 12:05 PM
Jay

Default "Burping" gravel + does seachem flourish have a use by date?

Hey

First question is, my lfs has some stock of seachem flourish that was
bought by previous management.. they don't know how old it is, so i'm
wondering if the stuff can go off? it seems unlikely but it does recommend
being stored in a fridge after opening..

My other question is about some strange gas bubbles that are coming from my
gravel. My tank is newly set up with just some quick growing filler plants
(elodea, chain swords, java moss) it has a bit over 2wpg, yeast co2, and a
pH of 7.4ish. Anyway, every now and then there is this kind of 'burp' of
gas from beneath one clump of elodea, quite a big bubble maybe the size of
my thumb? it seems a bit early in the tanks life (2 weeks) to be getting
toxic gas production, so can anyone suggest what it could be??

jay
Old 06-03-2003, 01:03 PM
LeighMo

First question is, my lfs has some stock of seachem flourish that was
bought by previous management.. they don't know how old it is, so i'm
wondering if the stuff can go off? it seems unlikely but it does recommend
being stored in a fridge after opening..

It will probably be all right, if it hasn't been opened.

If you don't refrigerate it after opening, something starts to precipitate out
of it, making it cloudy at first, then sludgy. However, the Custom Sealife
people say it's still safe and effective to use. It's just ugly.

Anyway, every now and then there is this kind of 'burp' of
gas from beneath one clump of elodea, quite a big bubble maybe the size of
my thumb? it seems a bit early in the tanks life (2 weeks) to be getting
toxic gas production, so can anyone suggest what it could be??

If it's toxic gas, you should be able to tell by the smell. It will stink to
high heaven.

It could be oxygen. If plants are growing well, they can pearl under the
gravel, as well as from their leaves. But usually the bubbles aren't that big.
And, aside from the chain swords, you don't have the kind of rooted plants
that do this.

Do you have a UGF? If so, then it sounds like what happens when you don't have
enough gravel over it.

Leigh

Old 07-03-2003, 12:34 AM
Jay

First question is, my lfs has some stock of seachem flourish that was
bought by previous management.. they don't know how old it is, so i'm
wondering if the stuff can go off? it seems unlikely but it does
recommend being stored in a fridge after opening..

It will probably be all right, if it hasn't been opened.

If you don't refrigerate it after opening, something starts to
precipitate out of it, making it cloudy at first, then sludgy.
However, the Custom Sealife people say it's still safe and effective
to use. It's just ugly.

Thanks for the quick response! i'll probably pick it up then, the swords
are looking pale, i'm hoping it'll perk them up a bit

Anyway, every now and then there is this kind of 'burp' of
gas from beneath one clump of elodea, quite a big bubble maybe the
size of my thumb? it seems a bit early in the tanks life (2 weeks) to
be getting toxic gas production, so can anyone suggest what it could
be??

If it's toxic gas, you should be able to tell by the smell. It will
stink to high heaven.

It could be oxygen. If plants are growing well, they can pearl under
the gravel, as well as from their leaves. But usually the bubbles
aren't that big.
And, aside from the chain swords, you don't have the kind of rooted
plants
that do this.

Do you have a UGF? If so, then it sounds like what happens when you
don't have enough gravel over it.

Oops, that should read "maybe the size of *the first joint of* my thumb". I
don't have a UGF, and the bubbles don't seem to smell.. Come to think of it
though, they are recent cuttings, so maybe the cut stems are just leaking
bubbles underneath like they do on top?

thanks again, i was worried it might wipe out the fish (didn't know about
the smell)

jay
Old 07-03-2003, 12:21 PM
LeighMo

Thanks for the quick response! i'll probably pick it up then, the swords
are looking pale, i'm hoping it'll perk them up a bit

It probably will (assuming you have adequate light). Also, swords are heavy
root-feeders, so if your LFS has Flourish tabs or other root tabs, get some of
them, too.

Oops, that should read "maybe the size of *the first joint of* my thumb". I
don't have a UGF, and the bubbles don't seem to smell.. Come to think of it
though, they are recent cuttings, so maybe the cut stems are just leaking
bubbles underneath like they do on top?

Maybe. Or maybe air was somehow trapped in your gravel when you set up the
tank. Usually, when the plants produce oxygen, the bubbles are very tiny.

Leigh