Old 26-07-2003, 10:12 AM
Michael

Default Good thread algae eater for 15 gallon tank with live plants - Correction it's fuzz

Oops, just realized that I said thread algae when in fact I have fuzz algae!

"Michael" wrote in message
I just set up my tank 1 week ago and put in 3 kinds of plants that my

friend
gave me. Unfortunately they had some thread algae on them (he has it

pretty
bad) and now it's growing in my tank. Some of the leaves are already

dying
so I'd like to get something that can eat the algae. Most of the plants
have small leaves, nothing broad like the Amazon Sword. So I'm not sure
what type of fish to get to eat thread algae on small leave plants. Also

have a 15 gallon so I don't have a lot of room. I did quite a bit of
reading but it's still not clear. I read Ottos are good but can they eat
algae off small leaves?? I've read SAE work well but they're too big for

15 gallon. I've read Amano Shrimp will eat it, but I don't think my LSF

has
those (never saw them before). What about Ghost Shrimp? Finally I read
people have good results with Apple Snails (Pomacea bridgesii) but I'm
pretty sure my leaves are too small and flimsy to support their weight.

I was hoping to go 1 month before adding fish but I don't think I can wait
that long without losing my plants. I've had my filter running in my
friend's tank for 1 week and I will put it in my tank today, so hopefully
the filter will be full of bacteria. Will that allow me to add an algae
eater right away?

Thanks,
Michael

Old 26-07-2003, 05:32 PM
Pierre-Normand Houle

"Michael" wrote in message
Oops, just realized that I said thread algae when in fact I have fuzz algae!

Fuzz algae (also sometimes called pelt algae or fur algae) is oedogonium. It is among
the most difficult algae to control: it spreads very fast; it is attached very firmly
to plant leaves and so can not be removed mechanically; and it withstands light or
nutrient deprivation very well.

Otos and SAEs will both help in reducing its spread by eating the shorter strands on
newly infested leaves. You should yourself remove the most infested leaves right
away. If your LFS has small SAEs, maybe you can ask if you can buy two of them and
bring them back in a year or so. Beware of the false SAEs.

Good plant growth and no excess nitrates (keeping it in the 3-5ppm range) will also
help control the infestation but might not be sufficient for the eradication of
oedogonium.

Since oedogonium is such a calamity and you don't yet have fish or a live filter in
your tank, maybe you'd like to use the peroxide treatment. You can use the common 3%
oxygen peroxide solution commonly found in drugstores. Something like 2 ounce per 10
gallon every day for just a few days might lead to the total eradication of
oedogonium with little damage to the plants. The fine hair will turn white and slowly
melt away. The stuff breaks down pretty fast in aquaria so you can add the filter 24
hours after the last dosing and some fish shortly thereafter. Don't add otos right
away for they will starve to death without algae and they are very picky on food.
SAEs will eat anything you give them.