Old 27-07-2003, 03:04 PM
jduprie

Default Assorted aquatic bulbs.... question

Hey folks,
my LFS had a major overstock of a bunch of "assorted bulbs", and thtey made
me an offer I couldn't refuse. So now I've got a couple dozen random plants,
all of them with bulbs on the bottom. Most of them are pretty scraggly,
heart shaped leaves, mostly green, some purples. A couple of them are more
"grassy" - leaves like and amazon sword, but only and inch or two long.

Any ideas as to what these are, and wghat their proper care is? For now,
I've got them bedded in clay saucers with Jobes spikes and gravel (I have an
undergravel filter, and I've had goo dluck with other plants this way)......
thanks

-_JD

Old 29-07-2003, 06:03 AM
~Vicki ~

The plants with the heart shaped leaves sound like Nymphaea lotus. They
come in greens and reds. Don't know what the other one is off the top
of my head but someone else may be able to identify that one. As far as
the lotus is concerned just lightly push it in your gravel a little and
in no time it will send roots down into the filter plate and anchor its
self. They do fine with average lighting and grow to between 10 - 20
inches tall. I have about 6 of them in my tank and they look pretty
good in a group spaced about 2in apart. My cory cats like to use them
as a bed or perch to watch what is going on in the tank.

Vicki

Old 30-07-2003, 02:02 AM
jduprie

Thanks! If they have any chance of growing that tall, Ithink I'll go see if
they're interested in getting rid of hte rest of them. They sold me the last
batch at 3-for-a-dollar because they wanted teh space in their plant tank
for other plants "that sell better"...

--JD

Old 30-07-2003, 06:02 AM
~Vicki ~

Thanks! If they have any chance of growing that tall, Ithink I'll go see
if they're interested in getting rid of hte rest of them. They sold me
the last batch at 3-for-a-dollar because they wanted teh space in their
plant tank for other plants "that sell better"...
--JD

You are very welcome. Glad I could be of help. I only have the
red/purple variety in my tank and I like the color against the rest of
the green plants I have. BTW they will from time to time send up about
three leaves which rest on the top of the water and if you are luck they
will flower. If you have any extra green ones you would not mind
parting with I would be very happy to buy one from ya. I have only seen
the red ones here in my area.

Vicki

Old 24-08-2003, 07:02 PM
marc

Check out the pic of the tiger lotus on my website that may be the
purple one you have
Marcus
Http://www.Aquatic-store.com This weeks sales co2 tanks
Co2 regulator, bubble counter and needle valve $75.20

Webboard

http://aquatic.yupapa.com/phpbb/index.php

Old 25-08-2003, 12:03 AM
~Vicki ~

That is not the same plant I have, but similar. Great web site. Thanks
for posting it.

Vicki

Assorted tulips - etc Paddy's Pig[_2_] Garden Photos 0 08-04-2008 06:19 AM
Continuing adventures of sticky pots and assorted perennial containers madgardener Gardening 0 16-08-2006 06:51 AM
Assorted Mike Gardening 3 09-01-2006 03:55 AM
Assorted Pond Plant Questions [email protected] Ponds 2 29-07-2005 05:55 PM
weed and grass fairies,weather goddesses and other assorted observations madgardener Gardening 5 10-08-2003 01:22 AM