Old 28-07-2003, 04:02 AM
b.

Default What can I breed?

I have a 55g planted tank and I am currently looking for a unique fish to
breed within it. The fish that I currently have in this tank are about 20
glow light tetras, 15 neons, 4 SAE's, red tail shark and 4 corys. I was
looking for a fish that is easy to breed but not prolific (ie guppy, platy).
If anyone has an idea for a nice size fish that would look good in this tank
please let me know what it is and where I can find info on it. Thanks.

Old 28-07-2003, 07:12 AM
Pierre-Normand Houle

"b." wrote in message news:v80Va.12068$ff.11083@fed1read01...
I have a 55g planted tank and I am currently looking for a unique fish to
breed within it. The fish that I currently have in this tank are about 20
glow light tetras, 15 neons, 4 SAE's, red tail shark and 4 corys. I was
looking for a fish that is easy to breed but not prolific (ie guppy, platy).
If anyone has an idea for a nice size fish that would look good in this tank
please let me know what it is and where I can find info on it. Thanks.

Maybe gouramis such as dwarf (colisa lalia) or pearl (trichogaster leeri)... You
could have one or two males and at least two females. They're very beautiful and
peaceful. The male will chase other fish and the females away when he builds or take
care of the bubble nest but he will not inflict any damage, provided the females can
hide in the plants. As soon as the bubble nest is removed, the male becomes peaceful
again. They will populate the upper level of your tank, which your other fish don't
use much. They breed quite readily when well housed and well fed.

Dwarf gouramis have a reputation of being excessively shy. However, in a well planted
tank with contains some floating plants (such as riccia or water sprite), they seldom
hide.

Here are some nice pictures of both species:

http://www.r-haemmerle.de/sites/colisa_lalia.htm

http://www.warady.home.ro/gourami.htm

http://www.akwafoto.pl/fotoreport/zabrze2002/inne2.php

Old 28-07-2003, 08:13 AM
Jim Brown

b. wrote in message
I have a 55g planted tank and I am currently looking for a unique fish to
breed within it. The fish that I currently have in this tank are about 20
glow light tetras, 15 neons, 4 SAE's, red tail shark and 4 corys. I was
looking for a fish that is easy to breed but not prolific (ie guppy,

platy).
If anyone has an idea for a nice size fish that would look good in this

tank
please let me know what it is and where I can find info on it. Thanks.

Trying to get fish to spawn in a community tank isn't very productive. To
raise fish in this tank, you need parental care and that probably narrows it
down to cichlids. Easy to breed would be one of the krib group of cichlids.
Maybe angels?
Some of the less often seen Corydoras catfish? There are also a lot of
livebearers, like the Goodeids that could fit the bill.
Many of the other fish produce fry that are too tiny.
It might be easier to get a second smaller aquarium for breeding, and add
the juveniles to you existing tank when they are large enough.

Jim

Old 28-07-2003, 09:23 AM
Graham Ramsay

"b." wrote
I have a 55g planted tank and I am currently looking for a unique fish to
breed within it. The fish that I currently have in this tank are about 20
glow light tetras, 15 neons, 4 SAE's, red tail shark and 4 corys. I was
looking for a fish that is easy to breed but not prolific (ie guppy, platy).
If anyone has an idea for a nice size fish that would look good in this tank
please let me know what it is and where I can find info on it.

You might try a pair of Kribs.
Kribs can be bought from any LFS and info is
available on loads of web sites.

--
Graham Ramsay
You might be a Bright:

Old 29-07-2003, 05:42 AM
~Vicki ~

Dwarf gouramis, Angels, Kribs are all very good fish to have (I have
them) and may breed in the tank. But probably not. Even tho they may
not breed they will look good in your tank and will get along just fine
with the rest of their tank mates.

Vicki

Old 02-08-2003, 05:12 AM
Jody

It may depend on your pH. If it stays much above 7 then angels and kribs
might not perform too well, but maybe. If the kribs spawn, then the female
will become very aggressive and defensive, possibly even killing the male.
But, in a 55g there is probably room for everyone. The kribs will need some
type of cave to spawn. Most breeders use terra-cotta flower pots turned on
their side or upside down with a cave entrance cut into the rim.
thekrib.com has all kinds of info on dwarf cichlids and how to breed them.
They are great additions to planted tanks.

Jody

Old 11-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Rich Conley

I dunno...while its true that the female gets aggressive...I have had way more
males kill females than the other way around.

Old 13-08-2003, 05:18 AM
Jody

I think it can depend on when the fish are introduced as well. In my case,
I had added a male after the female had already been in place and had the
run of the tank. Once a male was introduced (a few different times), she
harassed it to death pretty quickly. Maybe it is more indicative of
"cichlid" behavior than a sex thing - hard to say for sure.

Jody

.. .