Old 28-07-2003, 06:22 AM
Kevsmom2000

Default Eclipse lighting

I'm interested in using an Eclipse filter on my 29 gallon soon-to-be planted
tank. Can it handle lights strong enough to provide 3 watts per gallon? Or has
anyone had experience with retrofitting it so it can?

Thanks,
Danielle
Old 28-07-2003, 08:43 AM
Eric Schreiber

(Kevsmom2000) wrote:

I'm interested in using an Eclipse filter on my 29 gallon soon-to-be planted
tank. Can it handle lights strong enough to provide 3 watts per gallon? Or has
anyone had experience with retrofitting it so it can?

The lighting that comes with the Eclipse, as you know, isn't really up
to the task of a planted tank. However, retro-fitting isn't that hard.

I've got an Eclipse 2 hood on a 20 gallon tank. I considered replacing
the existing lighting fixture of the Eclipse, but decided that I'd be
better off leaving it alone. There is a sizeable gap between the
lighting module in the front and the filtration in the back. I put a
lighting fixture in it.

I used the "2 x 13 Watt Deluxe Bright Kit" and two 6400K bulbs from AH
Supply (
www.ahsupply.com). This brought my total tank light up to 56
watts - pretty much three watts per net gallon.

The cost was $40, plus extras that I got at the local hardware store,
such as plexiglass to make a splash guard, and heavy duty stiff wire
to make hangers. I also extended the kit wires so that I could put the
ballasts well away from the tank.

If you've got any skill at all with simple wiring tools, it's a really
easy thing to put together. AH gives nice clear directions, too.

--
www.ericschreiber.com
Old 28-07-2003, 10:25 PM
LeighMo

I'm interested in using an Eclipse filter on my 29 gallon soon-to-be planted
tank. Can it handle lights strong enough to provide 3 watts per gallon? Or
has
anyone had experience with retrofitting it so it can?

I would say an Eclipse is not a good choice. It won't provide enough light,
and the biowheel will dissipate the CO2 you're injecting. (You are injecting
CO2 with your planned lighting level, I hope.)

A 29 gallon is also not a good choice, IMO. It's very high for its volume,
meaning the lights are far away from the plants.

Don't get me wrong, you can work around these issues...but you're making it
more difficult than it needs to be.

Leigh

Old 29-07-2003, 10:44 PM
tinman

I've got a 29 gallon eclipse and i retrofitted a 55w powercompact from
ahsupply.com , runs with 91 watts in a 29 gallon, thats more then 3 watts
per gallon.....i do agree though, the hight of the tank is limiting...i'm
looking into a 33gallon long..48 inches long, and only 20 inches tall.

JH

Old 30-07-2003, 04:24 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Ken Stager wrote:
Flourish complete plant suppliment. I do have some pics if you'd like
to see what can be done with the set up I have.

I'd like to see those pictures, since I am planning on maybe doing the same
thing to my little tank. Please send them to
(remove the rocks to email)

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv