GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Whats in yout filter (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/38659-whats-yout-filter.html)

spun 12 29-07-2003 03:02 AM

Whats in yout filter

So I'm only a year old in the plant world. So naturally I want to
learn as much as I can. What is good/bad filtration when it comes to
keeping a plant and fish tank. I have a 75g w/ a canister (cascade
1200) I was told by a plant dealer that carbon wasnt a good idea. So
currently the media I use is the sponge, polyfiber,ammonia rocks,
phosphate remover(seachem),and bio-chemstars for bio-logical. Any info
would be great. Thanks

Dinky 29-07-2003 06:22 PM

Whats in yout filter

"spun 12" wrote in message
om...
So I'm only a year old in the plant world. So naturally I want to
learn as much as I can. What is good/bad filtration when it comes to
keeping a plant and fish tank. I have a 75g w/ a canister (cascade
1200) I was told by a plant dealer that carbon wasnt a good idea. So
currently the media I use is the sponge, polyfiber,ammonia rocks,
phosphate remover(seachem),and bio-chemstars for bio-logical. Any info
would be great. Thanks

I disagree with carbon being bad, some claim that carbon removes trace
elements that the plants need, though this is arguable. Myself, I rarely use
anything in my filters other than sponges for biological filtration. I
occasionaly use Seachem Purigen to remove discolouration from my bogwood.

billy

LeighMo 01-08-2003 12:23 PM

Whats in yout filter

So I'm only a year old in the plant world. So naturally I want to
learn as much as I can. What is good/bad filtration when it comes to
keeping a plant and fish tank. I have a 75g w/ a canister (cascade
1200) I was told by a plant dealer that carbon wasnt a good idea. So
currently the media I use is the sponge, polyfiber,ammonia rocks,
phosphate remover(seachem),and bio-chemstars for bio-logical. Any info
would be great

I agree with your dealer -- carbon is not necessary, and might even be harmful.
I used it for special occasions only -- to clear medication from a tank after
treatment, or to clear up the water after you've put new driftwood in the tank.

I would also lose the ammonia rocks and phosphate remover. Plants need
nitrogen (ammonia) and phosphate. With your tank, you may actually have to
*add* nitrogen and phosphate, for your plants.

IMO, carbon, ammonia remover, and phosphate remover aren't necessary for most
tanks. They are definitely not necessary for a high-tech planted tank like
yours, and may actually be harmful.

I have an Eheim cannister filter, and inside are a couple of sponge-type
things, a basket of ceramic rings, and two baskets of rough gravel (the stuff
Eheim sells for the purpose). I left the carbon insert out.

Leigh