Old 29-07-2003, 04:22 PM
Sarah

Default New to planted tanks

I would like to put together a planted 30g tank but I have no idea
where to start. I've found a lot of websites online but I don't want
to take advice from just any website.

I figure a 30g tank would be large enough to start out with but what
equipment am I going to need? How do I pick the plants and fish for
the tank?

In other words, how do I start researching all this?

Sarah
Old 29-07-2003, 06:22 PM
Dinky

"Sarah" wrote in message
m...
I would like to put together a planted 30g tank but I have no idea
where to start. I've found a lot of websites online but I don't want
to take advice from just any website.

I figure a 30g tank would be large enough to start out with but what
equipment am I going to need? How do I pick the plants and fish for
the tank?

In other words, how do I start researching all this?

Sarah

Start he http://faq.thekrib.com/begin.html
And he http://faq.thekrib.com/plant.html
Be sure to post any and all question that arise. Good Luck!!!!

billy

Old 30-07-2003, 06:02 AM
Djay

Well this is the plant ng so... Look at your local LFS and ask questions
there. Depending on the plants available, you will want to have adequate
lighting. 2 Watts per gallon of fluorescent lighting will get you some nice
results without having to go overboard with high light and lots of "high
tech" solutions. That means you would need 60 watts of fluorescent lighting
over your tank. However, lowlight tanks can be quite beautiful with anubius
and java fern/moss as good low light candidates. Lowlight would be a tank
with 1 WPG or less.
If you get bored with that, and If you desire higher light required plants,
then you may want to go above 2 WPG. That makes planted tank care a bit
more complicated with plant fertilizer and algae control etc.
As far as fish go... check again with your LFS. Ask them if they condition
their water for their fish. If they do, ask what they do? Can you do the
same economically? Often times the LFS will stock fish suitable for the
water conditions in your area, but beware, often times they import specialty
fish. Ask if the fish are locally bred. If they are imported, what
conditions are best for them? Can your local water meet their requirements?
What do you have to do to condition your water to meet the fish
requirements? How expensive is this conditioning?
Most beginners want a variety of community fish. Although there are many
beautiful fish available, there are many species that will not and should
not be put in the same tank. Again ask lots of questions.

Hope this helped?

DJay

m...

Old 30-07-2003, 10:22 PM
Robert Flory

try http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/

search the archives and join the list...
Bob

m...

Old 02-08-2003, 10:22 AM
Pete Bradbury

Try my site

www.shubunkin.btinternet.co.uk

and you'll find links, including krib which is excellent.

I use rainwater, undergravel heating, co2 and have never looked back.

Algae is still a problem, but my plants flourish.

The tank is almost a year old with this set up, and I'm still pruning and
throwing out excess plants.

m...