Old 30-07-2003, 01:35 AM
Josh

Default 55g planted setup

Hey, I am moving to college in about 5 days and have gotten an
aparment with my friend and am bringing my aquariums with me, actually
im selling my 55 to a friend for use as a terrium but i am aquariung a
brand new All-Glass 55g set up with pine stand and top/lights for only
159.99... I couldnt resist that deal from the Local LFS that will be
only 1 block away from my new aparment! - (that could be a bad
thing... lol) But I have been planning this aquarium for a while now
and here is what I am plannig for it

All Glass 55g on pine Cabnet Stand

Going to buy 110W (2x55W) retrofit kit from AH Supply

Flourite (I already have 3 bags because I was going to make my smaller
tank a planted tank but i upgraded I guess.. oops...) - question here
is I will be buying 2 more bags, do you think this is sufficent for a
55g aquarium? That is 77lbs of flourite, or should I get more???....
and I cannot remeber what site I got that flourite from for like only
15 bux a bag?? anyone know of this site??

Am planning on sometime within next 2 months to buy a CO2 set-up and
probally put a ph controller on it.. I found a pretty good looking one
from a place called rapidswholesale.com I believe at a pretty good
price.. they are selling it as a home brewing thing but it has dual
guages and I have a site that talked about how this guy did his and
only ended up spending about 145 bux w/o a
contoller.http://www.dlink.org/aqua/CO2.html - think this is a good
idea or have any other suggustions for a Co2 set up? Also any ph
contollers that are a pretty good deal...

Also for night I would probally wanna run some air into the tank when
the lights are off right? So how much or how big of a air pump do I
need then?

Then of course a heater, probably a nice Rena one that i can get for
about 20 bux online and have plenty of wattage for a 55g.

The tank will probalby be lightly stocked, possibly medium stock...
but definatly not full stock

Will be running a Fluval 304 on this tank that I already have

So any suggustions to my set-up and the questions I have above,
anything else I should take into consideration, all replies will be
greatly appricated - thanx - Josh

Old 30-07-2003, 12:02 PM
Racf

"Josh" wrote in message
Hey, I am moving to college in about 5 days and have gotten an
aparment with my friend and am bringing my aquariums with me, actually
im selling my 55 to a friend for use as a terrium but i am aquariung a
brand new All-Glass 55g set up with pine stand and top/lights for only
159.99... I couldnt resist that deal from the Local LFS that will be
only 1 block away from my new aparment! - (that could be a bad
thing... lol) But I have been planning this aquarium for a while now
and here is what I am plannig for it

All Glass 55g on pine Cabnet Stand

Going to buy 110W (2x55W) retrofit kit from AH Supply

You can buy a shoplight at FleetFarm for $10 bucks that will take 4 T4s
or T8s. Bulbs are seriously cheaper and work very well. Even has a
cord on it.

Flourite (I already have 3 bags because I was going to make my smaller
tank a planted tank but i upgraded I guess.. oops...) - question here
is I will be buying 2 more bags, do you think this is sufficent for a
55g aquarium? That is 77lbs of flourite, or should I get more???....
and I cannot remeber what site I got that flourite from for like only
15 bux a bag?? anyone know of this site??

You could buy plain gravel for $10 for 80lbs and add a couple packs of
root tabs. Works really well.

Am planning on sometime within next 2 months to buy a CO2 set-up and
probally put a ph controller on it.. I found a pretty good looking one
from a place called rapidswholesale.com I believe at a pretty good
price.. they are selling it as a home brewing thing but it has dual
guages and I have a site that talked about how this guy did his and
only ended up spending about 145 bux w/o a
contoller.http://www.dlink.org/aqua/CO2.html - think this is a good
idea or have any other suggustions for a Co2 set up? Also any ph
contollers that are a pretty good deal...

You don't need to add any of this. Good aeration works ok. Your fish
will appreciate it.

Also for night I would probally wanna run some air into the tank when
the lights are off right? So how much or how big of a air pump do I
need then?

Don't really need air unless you need to drive a little treasure
chest....but I doubt it...

Then of course a heater, probably a nice Rena one that i can get for
about 20 bux online and have plenty of wattage for a 55g.

So far, I have never found a good heater, but I keep
looking.....couldn't recommend anything.... Just make sure its
submersible and ranges to fit your fishes needs including raising temps
for treatment...

The tank will probalby be lightly stocked, possibly medium stock...
but definatly not full stock

Will be running a Fluval 304 on this tank that I already have

Get an extra impellor and have it standing by. You should probably
consider adding a bio-wheel hang on filter or 2. A battery backup
airpump (the sort that comes on when power goes out) would be good to
have.

So any suggustions to my set-up and the questions I have above,
anything else I should take into consideration, all replies will be
greatly appricated - thanx - Josh

You can do a lot of lady entertaining with the money you could save
going simple. Not as cool, but it works.....

Lately, I really wonder about the affects of CO2 injection on fish.
About all I have heard technically is the level at which they die
outright. Given the manner freshwater fish regulate their internal pH,
seems like a weird thing to do to them. They will definitely be in for
it when the elevated level suddenly disappears.....I guess then you pour
in the electrolytes and watch the race.....

Good luck....

Old 30-07-2003, 06:02 PM
Rex Grigg

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 04:53:56 -0500, "Racf"
wrote:

"Josh" wrote in message
.. .
Hey, I am moving to college in about 5 days and have gotten an
aparment with my friend and am bringing my aquariums with me, actually
im selling my 55 to a friend for use as a terrium but i am aquariung a
brand new All-Glass 55g set up with pine stand and top/lights for only
159.99... I couldnt resist that deal from the Local LFS that will be
only 1 block away from my new aparment! - (that could be a bad
thing... lol) But I have been planning this aquarium for a while now
and here is what I am plannig for it

All Glass 55g on pine Cabnet Stand

Going to buy 110W (2x55W) retrofit kit from AH Supply

You can buy a shoplight at FleetFarm for $10 bucks that will take 4 T4s
or T8s. Bulbs are seriously cheaper and work very well. Even has a
cord on it.

The AH Supply 110 watt light will give you more usable light in the
tank than a 4 bulb shop light will. I have had both and there is way
more light with the AH Supply setup due to reflector. Shop lights
don't have reflectors they have diffusers so they can light up the
shop.

Semper Fi!

Visit the forums at Aqua Botanic!
http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.cc/#1

Need Nitrate or Potassium for your tank? Go to www.litemanu.com
(Just a happy customer of the above!)
Old 30-07-2003, 07:22 PM
Racf

"Rex Grigg" wrote in message
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 04:53:56 -0500, "Racf"
wrote:

"Josh" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I think you are overstating a bit.......but that's ok...AH supply
zealots usually do....
(4) T8s or T4s without a polished aluminum reflector do produce enough
light to be successful and at a fraction of the cost upfront and on the
backend. The ballast alone is well worth $10. One of the few I have
seen designed to drive either bulb. Its not the best light or ballast
that money can buy, but at $10 it isn't that bad. That's all....My shop
lights only use T4s......

Old 30-07-2003, 08:46 PM
Steve Hampton

I think you are overstating a bit.......but that's ok...AH supply
zealots usually do....
(4) T8s or T4s without a polished aluminum reflector do produce

enough
light to be successful and at a fraction of the cost upfront and

on the
backend. The ballast alone is well worth $10.

AH Supply zealots? Gee, being rude and overly aggressive aren't you.

I'm curious about the T4's you mentioned. What length do they come
in, color spectrum, and temperature. Where can you get T4 bulbs and
do they have the same pin configuration as T8's?

--
Steve H.

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
But Today is a Gift...That's why we call it the Present!

Old 31-07-2003, 05:35 AM
Josh

But the main reason for going with AH Supply p.c is because then I can
get the 2WPG that I want, how much can I get from a few shoplights...

Old 31-07-2003, 06:35 AM
Racf

"Josh" wrote in message
But the main reason for going with AH Supply p.c is because then I can
get the 2WPG that I want, how much can I get from a few shoplights...

Its probably more a matter of the lumens you will get, and how much you
need for whatever you decide to do.... The watts per gallon is a crude
measure. A lot depends on the bulb choice and setup. Not too many
folks would literally lay a shoplight on their tank. Its usually the
components that are desired. Very popular a short time ago.

Four T-12 or T-8 bulbs is rather bright.....a little brighter with a
reflector.

Something the dopehead pot growers use a lot is that Mylar film. Its
99% reflective.....like a mirror....some use it in DIY stuff. Its also
a good heat reflector.

When I started doing the plant thing a few years ago....my biggest
reason for early failures was not any of the items in discussion, but
simply getting real quality aquatic plants. Then the problem for me was
keeping up with the trimming. At first its fun, then it gets to be a
chore. On my (4) T12 fixture hung over 100 gallons, I took 2 of the
bulbs out....more light than I needed.... Its not a shoplight,
though.....I sprang for the deluxe $20 model due to estectics. In the
kitchen I went for $80 to get an Oak enclosure.....

Good luck with your new tank. Its a grand feeling......and soon you
will have a room full of them...

Old 31-07-2003, 11:12 AM
Eric Schreiber

Josh wrote:

All Glass 55g on pine Cabnet Stand
Going to buy 110W (2x55W) retrofit kit from AH Supply

It depends on the plants you're growing of course, but 55 gallon tanks
are fairly deep. You might want to consider more light, like three (or
even four, because of the depth) watts per gallon.

Can't fault you on AHSupply, though. Great prices for anyone with even
a little bit of DIY skill.

Flourite (I already have 3 bags because I was going to make my smaller
tank a planted tank but i upgraded I guess.. oops...) - question here
is I will be buying 2 more bags, do you think this is sufficent for a
55g aquarium?

From what the Seachem site says, three bags should be enough for a 55
gallon tank, but I personally prefer a deeper substrate. Considering
how expensive Flourite is, you might want to consider mixing it with a
conventional gravel that matches in color.

Then of course a heater, probably a nice Rena one that i can get for
about 20 bux online and have plenty of wattage for a 55g.

I like Ebo-Jager brand heaters. Give them a look.

So any suggustions to my set-up and the questions I have above,
anything else I should take into consideration, all replies will be
greatly appricated - thanx - Josh

Yeah, don't forget to study while you're at college

--
www.ericschreiber.com
Old 01-08-2003, 01:42 PM
LeighMo

Flourite (I already have 3 bags because I was going to make my smaller
tank a planted tank but i upgraded I guess.. oops...) - question here
is I will be buying 2 more bags, do you think this is sufficent for a
55g aquarium? That is 77lbs of flourite, or should I get more???....

That will probably be enough for a 55 gallon tank. I used 8 bags for my 75
gallon. You could also cut it with plain gravel, which a lot of people do to
save money.

Am planning on sometime within next 2 months to buy a CO2 set-up and
probally put a ph controller on it..

IMO, that's overkill for a tank with only 2 watts per gallon over it. You
don't need CO2 at all, let alone a pH controller. If you want CO2, don't
bother with a controller. Spend the money on more lights. Controllers can be
more trouble than they are worth, especially for a beginner. (If they go bad,
or aren't properly calibrated, they can kill all your fish.) Probably most of
us who inject Co2 don't use controllers.

Also for night I would probally wanna run some air into the tank when
the lights are off right? So how much or how big of a air pump do I
need then?

Nah. If you do it right, there should be plenty of oxygen, even at night.
Your Fluval is enough.

Leigh

Old 01-08-2003, 09:12 PM
nikolay_kraltchev

Have in mind that the reflectors of the AHSupply provide a narrow beam
of light. I have bought at least 7 of their 2 x 55 set ups and I love
them, but the narrow beam may be a bit of a problem. You can clearly
see how some stem plants first grow to the side to get under the light
and after that they shoot up.
As I hear Kim that owns AHSupply won't sell a bulb that is crappy so
that is another great thing about AHSupply.

2 wpg for a standart 55 is not really high. Some light loving plants
will grow slow and weak until they reach higher and than grow really
well. The same effect is seen if you lower the water level in the 55
standart tank.

I'm just giving you some points to consider.

--Nikolay

Old 08-08-2003, 10:04 AM
Tasslehoff

I totally agree with racf here, I've only got 2.15W/G in a 65G in a
light/moderately planted tank and my swords(amazonicus,ozelot) and val start
pearling in a matter of 4 hours. A varied selection of low cost lighting $4
36W polyux GE triphosphor tubes(2x6000,1x5000, 1x4000) and a decent
reflector can do wonders. I was considering getting a third dual-tube
ballast as I've got a 4x18x18 and the tubes/ballasts only cover half of the
cover glass but now I'm not so sure. The lumens for these tubes are rated
from 3250 to 3350 whatever that means.