Old 31-07-2003, 05:03 AM

Default DIY co2 for longer than 7-14 days

diagram at: http://bolin.iwebland.com/, sorry about the popunder. feel free
to tell me why this wouldn't work.

* digital timer periodically turns on air pump, forcing air into sugar water
chamber and moving fresh sugar water into the yeast factory
* air injection must be valved, since most timers run for at least 60
seconds, which would inject too much air if left full-throttle
* when fluid level in factory rises, alcohol on surface overflows into waste
chamber
* co2 production remains more level than DIY 2-liter bottle systems
* maintenence consists of topping up with sugar water and emptying waste
chamber.
* vessels larger than 2-liters can be used to extend maintenance time,
without co2 drowning in its own waste and dying off
* higher concentrations of sugar coupled with smaller injections can further
extend maintenance time, at the cost of more co2 fluctuations
* co2 production can be tuned by altering air pump cycles with the digital
timer, and by varying the surgar content of the supply

Old 31-07-2003, 10:02 AM
Eric Schreiber

"a" a@a wrote:

diagram at: http://bolin.iwebland.com/, sorry about the popunder. feel free
to tell me why this wouldn't work.

My gut tells me that it wouldn't work, but it won't explain to me why.
It can be petulant like that.

So long as the system was pressure sealed (specifically where the
alcohol run-off is) so that produced CO2 actually goes where you want
it, I can't see any problem.

In addition to your 'splitter' valve after the air pump to ensure that
not too much air gets pumped in, you may want to consider a check
valve to make sure that air can only go into the system there, and not
come back out. Will check valves stop air, or do they only work with
liquids?

I wonder if a micro-pump could be used instead of the air pump, such
that it moved water directly from the sugar water reservoir into the
yeast factory? I'm sure some sort of 'dosing' pump like that must
exist, but it probably is for medical purposes, and priced accordingly
high, whereas your approach is very cheap.

I think you should build it and let us know how it goes

--
www.ericschreiber.com
Old 31-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Paul

I gather the idea is you are looking for a system that will work for more
than a couple of weeks without human intervention ..... a problem I can see
with your system is that as the level of the sugar water drops the time the
air pump will be required to run to effect the correct dose of feed for the
yeast factory will have to be increased. Also the amount would be different
(more) each time, and difficult to calculate without a human there to say
enough.
I have just read this post and it sounds like I set out to be negative. I'm
don't mean to be at all. I like these "tell me why this won't work" sort of
questions and I'm just giving my opinion.

Paul.

"a" a@a wrote in message ...
[...]

---

Old 01-08-2003, 03:12 AM

"Paul" wrote
a problem I can see
with your system is that as the level of the sugar water drops the time

the
air pump will be required to run to effect the correct dose of feed for

the
yeast factory will have to be increased.

hadn't considered that. good point.

"Eric Schreiber" wrote
I wonder if a micro-pump could be used instead of the air pump, such
that it moved water directly from the sugar water reservoir into the
yeast factory? I'm sure some sort of 'dosing' pump like that must
exist,

yes, the marine reef aquaria guys use them all the time. I'm thinking that's
going to be be the ticket. pity they are so expensive though.

thanks for the constructive criticism. it will be some time before I can try
it out, but I'll post the results when I do.