Old 31-07-2003, 10:48 PM
E.W. Marshall

Default Flourite Questions

I've decided to use Flourite as my substrate, but I've got no
experience with it. I'm wondering how much to use in my 75g. What is a
good depth? Any guidance is appreciated.
Old 01-08-2003, 02:43 AM
Eric Schreiber

E.W. Marshall wrote:

I've decided to use Flourite as my substrate, but I've got no
experience with it. I'm wondering how much to use in my 75g. What is a
good depth? Any guidance is appreciated.

The manufacturer has some suggested guidelines on their site...

http://www.seachem.com/en_products/p..._flourite.html

--
www.ericschreiber.com
Old 01-08-2003, 12:12 PM
LeighMo

I've decided to use Flourite as my substrate, but I've got no
experience with it. I'm wondering how much to use in my 75g. What is a
good depth? Any guidance is appreciated.

The manufacturer's recommendations are too low, IMO. They give you a depth of
2", and I prefer closer to 4". For a 75 gallon tank, I would use 8 bags.

Of course, if you prefer a shallow substrate, or are planning to cut it with
plain gravel, get less.

Did you get enough plant clippings, BTW? I didn't respond when you posted your
notice because I'd just pruned my tank and sent the clippings to someone else.
But I think the tank needs pruning again...

Leigh

Old 01-08-2003, 10:05 PM
E.W. Marshall

Thanks Leigh! Just the info I was needing. I just got back from
visiting the biggest LFS near me, and was it was the usual deal: no
Flourite, no decent plants, etc. Chuck said he was going to help me
get started again, but it looks like it might be awhile before he
prunes. If you've got some fast growers you can spare, I'd really
appreciate it. I'm planning to order some Flourite from Foster & Smith
online around August 8th, so right now, I can't plant anything.

I'm really excited about having the aquarium again, and I'm wanting to
do a better job this time around. I'm thinking of backing down to 3
watts/gallon also.

Old 01-08-2003, 11:19 PM
LeighMo

If you've got some fast growers you can spare, I'd really
appreciate it. I'm planning to order some Flourite from Foster & Smith
online around August 8th, so right now, I can't plant anything.

Sure, I've got lots of fast growers. Let me know when you want them to arrive.
I can throw them in the tub that's out on the balcony in the mean time.

I'm thinking of backing down to 3
watts/gallon also.

I could give you some Marsilea if you want. It's not a particularly fast
grower, but it makes a nice, low lawn even if you don't have killer lights.

Leigh