GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Water plant clasp (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/38990-water-plant-clasp.html)

01-08-2003 05:13 PM

Water plant clasp

Plants often come from pet shops attached at the bottom with a gray metal
clasp. This occurs with plants like Elodea (sp?). My question is: Are
these clasps dangerous for the fish? I have just begun to get into a new
aquarium with my children. I've had them in the past, but can't seem to
remember anything about this and can't find a reference in this or other
newsgroups or on the web. Thanks, in advance, for your help!

Dinky 01-08-2003 07:03 PM

Water plant clasp

wrote in message
Plants often come from pet shops attached at the bottom with a gray metal
clasp. This occurs with plants like Elodea (sp?). My question is: Are
these clasps dangerous for the fish? I have just begun to get into a new
aquarium with my children. I've had them in the past, but can't seem to
remember anything about this and can't find a reference in this or other
newsgroups or on the web. Thanks, in advance, for your help!

I have seen a few debates on this topic, and they never really seem to come
to a decent conclusion. I will, therefore give you my take on them. I'm sure
others will post their disagreement. I'd be disappointed if they didn't.
eg
I have left the lead weights in my tanks on many occasions, and have
never noted a problem. In freshwater, I don't feel the metal will break down
fast enough to cause an issue if normal water changes are done. However,
what I generally tell my friends is if you're concerned, take them out, and
use fishing line to tie them to a buried stone.

RedForeman ©® 01-08-2003 07:42 PM

Water plant clasp

Plants often come from pet shops attached at the bottom with a gray metal
clasp. This occurs with plants like Elodea (sp?). My question is: Are
these clasps dangerous for the fish? I have just begun to get into a new
aquarium with my children. I've had them in the past, but can't seem to
remember anything about this and can't find a reference in this or other
newsgroups or on the web. Thanks, in advance, for your help!

I use them all the time, I've even made some out of some other lead... same
lead that is used for plant weights...

Eric Schreiber 02-08-2003 06:42 AM

Water plant clasp

"Dinky" wrote:

what I generally tell my friends is if you're concerned, take them out, and
use fishing line to tie them to a buried stone.

That exercise alone is enough to convince most people to leave the
lead weights on :)

--
www.ericschreiber.com

Dinky 02-08-2003 09:22 AM

Water plant clasp

"Eric Schreiber" wrote in message
"Dinky" wrote:

what I generally tell my friends is if you're concerned, take them out,

and
use fishing line to tie them to a buried stone.

That exercise alone is enough to convince most people to leave the
lead weights on :)

Touche'g I tried it a couple times, and still do it for very specific
things, but's a pain in the Arse, all right.

Dave Millman 07-08-2003 08:20 PM

Water plant clasp

"Dinky" wrote in
:

However, what I generally tell my friends is if you're
concerned, take them out, and use fishing line to tie them to a buried
stone.

I don't understand the issue. I push plants into the gravel (Flourite),
they grow. Unless you have agressive gravel rooters, that's the end of it.
No metal, no stones.

Is the problem that pl*cos or cichlids uproot your plants?