Old 02-08-2003, 01:25 AM
Dan Norgard

Default substrate?

Ok, I'm new at this...last tank I had was 45 years ago. Now I think I've
jumped the gun. I have a 29 gal. tank with 'natural' gravel and I planted
several varieties straight into the gravel. I just have 3 small fish right
now.
The question is: Can I move the gravel aside and insert the Laterite around
the plants without turning the water to mud?
Thanks,
Dan

Old 02-08-2003, 07:12 AM
Racf

"Dan Norgard" wrote in message
Ok, I'm new at this...last tank I had was 45 years ago. Now I think

I've
jumped the gun. I have a 29 gal. tank with 'natural' gravel and I

planted
several varieties straight into the gravel. I just have 3 small fish

right
now.
The question is: Can I move the gravel aside and insert the Laterite

around
the plants without turning the water to mud?
Thanks,
Dan

Probably not....but you could add those root tab things. Seachem makes
a gravel conditioner type. In essence, its a chunk of desired minerals
that melts slowly releasing its goodies into the gravel bed. I have
used them many times and in my opinion are extremely effective when used
as the directions say. They are cheap........

There are other brands, but I have not tried them....

Old 02-08-2003, 11:22 AM
Pete Bradbury

I did just this.

I used a plastic syphon tube ( the large one at the end of the thin pipe,
about 1inch diameter, open both ends), placed it into the gravel and filled
the tube in situ, with the laterite.

Pushing the tube throught the gravel, and lifting slightly, the ploughning
action released the laterite under the gravel, in my case a quartz type.

This done a number of times all the laterite ended up beneath the gravel ,
and not above.

It can be done you just have to be careful not to pull the tube too near to
the surface of the gravel.

Good luck!

Old 02-08-2003, 02:02 PM
LeighMo

Ok, I'm new at this...last tank I had was 45 years ago. Now I think I've
jumped the gun. I have a 29 gal. tank with 'natural' gravel and I planted
several varieties straight into the gravel. I just have 3 small fish right
now.
The question is: Can I move the gravel aside and insert the Laterite around
the plants without turning the water to mud?

It might be easier to use laterite balls. (There are recipes on the net.)
They are also sold pre-made. Just stick them in the substrate -- no muss, no
fuss. They are also good for replenishing a laterite substrate that is
exhausted.

Leigh

Old 03-08-2003, 06:03 PM
Haywire

Yes, go ahead, I screened the laterite first, so only the granules went in.
I kept the dust for when I pot plants in my Discus tanks.

I have added laterite to an existing tank during a 50% waterchange, I
moved the gravel aside form the base of my amazon swords, and dropped the
laterite right in, covered it with my sand/gravel and completed the water
change. Water did not cloud.

"Dan Norgard" wrote in
:

Old 24-08-2003, 08:02 PM
marc

Best bet reomove the fish empty tank and do it the right way or you
will regret it

Marcus
Http://www.Aquatic-store.com This weeks sales co2 tanks
Co2 regulator, bubble counter and needle valve $75.20

Webboard

http://aquatic.yupapa.com/phpbb/index.php