Old 08-08-2003, 03:31 AM
B.

Default Best canister and CO2 diffuser?

I am currently in the market for a canister filter for my planted tank. i
am looking for the best but cost worthy canister out there. I plan to spend
atleast $150 on one and would like some expert advice on which one to get.
I have been looking at the Fluval 404 but i havent seen or heard any reviews
on it. Does anyone know about this filter.

I am also looking for a good diffuser for my tank (55 gallon). I would like
to get one that doesnt waste any co2. I have tried building my own but they
just don't seem affective. I am currently diffusing with a powerhead but my
tank seems to empty alot quicker then it did with other methods. if you
know of any diffusers please let me know what the name is or where i can get
some info on it.

Thanks for all your help.

Old 08-08-2003, 08:34 AM
Dinky

"B." wrote in message
[...]

As far as canisters, good choice. Canisters are great for planted tanks.
Allow me to recommend the Eheim Pro series. I have 2 Eheim Pro 2026's, and
they are fabulous. One is on a lightly planted 75g, the other on a heavily
planted 45g. They are virtually silent, minimal maintenence, and lots of
room for media.

Old 08-08-2003, 10:34 AM
Tasslehoff

I second the Eheim 2026. It can handle 1 bubble/sec comfortably(I haven't
tried higher as my CO2 is already 25-28ppm. My only gripe with it being it
probably only dissolves about 80% of the bubbles(tough critic here hehe),
but that's certainly better than it locking up while you're not watching
like some other brands. Sticking a cheap plastic in-line filter on the
outflow with a plastic tap on either end for easy cleaning results in near
100% dissolution.

Old 08-08-2003, 06:34 PM
Josh

A 404 for a 55g? I have a 304 on a 55g and it works fine. A 304 is rated
up to 70 gallon aquariums. Just thought Id share that cuz it may save you
money you could spend on other stuff for your tank, otherwise is there a
reason you wanted a 404 for that tank?

Old 08-08-2003, 07:14 PM
Jeff Heimsch

As noted below, the Eheims are top of the line.Still, I have a Fluval 404
and it's worked just great for me. Also the Fluval is about one half the
cost of an Eheim if money is a consideration. Finally, if you do go to a
Fluval, get the 404. Bigger is better in filters. I have a 404 on a 54 gal
corner tank. It's a perfect size for the tank. Always error "a little on the
big side" when it comes to filters.

Old 08-08-2003, 07:44 PM
Bob Alston

For CO2 disolving, I use the plantguild power reactor in my 55 gallon:

http://www.plantguild.com/html/power_reactors.html

Bob Alston
918.494.4913

http://members.cox.net/tulsaalstons/
"Dinky" wrote in message

"B." wrote in message
[...]

---
Bob's Dell 4400 - Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

Old 09-08-2003, 03:14 AM
Rex Grigg

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 18:25:43 -0700, "B." wrote:

I run a couple of Rena Filstar Xp series and love them. They are
inexpensive and have a great design. I also build my own external
reactors out of PVC and plumb them into the output side of my filters.
They work very well and are very inexpensive. A reactor will beat a
diffuser every time as far as efficiency goes.

I am currently in the market for a canister filter for my planted tank. i
am looking for the best but cost worthy canister out there. I plan to spend
atleast $150 on one and would like some expert advice on which one to get.
I have been looking at the Fluval 404 but i havent seen or heard any reviews
on it. Does anyone know about this filter.

I am also looking for a good diffuser for my tank (55 gallon). I would like
to get one that doesnt waste any co2. I have tried building my own but they
just don't seem affective. I am currently diffusing with a powerhead but my
tank seems to empty alot quicker then it did with other methods. if you
know of any diffusers please let me know what the name is or where i can get
some info on it.

Thanks for all your help.

Semper Fi!

Visit the forums at Aqua Botanic!
http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.cc/#1

Need Nitrate or Potassium for your tank? Go to www.litemanu.com
(Just a happy customer of the above!)
Old 09-08-2003, 06:44 AM
Arrhae

On 8/7/03 9:25 PM, in article jUCYa.31013$ff.10558@fed1read01, "B."
wrote:

I am also looking for a good diffuser for my tank (55 gallon). I would like
to get one that doesnt waste any co2. I have tried building my own but they
just don't seem affective. I am currently diffusing with a powerhead but my
tank seems to empty alot quicker then it did with other methods. if you
know of any diffusers please let me know what the name is or where i can get
some info on it.

I've made a few different diffusers, mostly variations on countercurrent
siphon bell types, which usually work well but don't tend to stay in place,
look ugly, and take up a lot of space. The contraption I'm currently using
isn't really something I've seen much, but as long as I don't let the filter
get clogged, it's quiet efficient.

I've got a powerhead hooked up to a quickfilter, there's two slots in the
top of the filter attachment, the CO2 hose runs through that and connects to
an airstone, this sits in the top media basket of the quickfilter. The
powerhead output goes across the top of the tank in some siphon tubing, down
to the bottom on the other side, then connects to a spray bar down around
gravel level that points back in the direction of the powerhead. Kicks up
your gravel a bit, but provides good circulation at the bottom of the tank,
so less crap settles. If the filter gets clogged, the powerhead won't have
the force required to get most of the water down to the bottom of the tank,
and most of your CO2 will bleed out of the top hole.

Old 24-08-2003, 08:02 PM
marc

Eheims the are the best filters.
Got a sale on 2o26 for 145 on my website right now .
As for reactors aquamedic makes one that is an overkill for your size
tanks buy you coult run the co2 through the ehiem and that would work
as well

Marcus
Http://www.Aquatic-store.com This weeks sales co2 tanks
Co2 regulator, bubble counter and needle valve $75.20

Webboard

http://aquatic.yupapa.com/phpbb/index.php

Old 25-08-2003, 08:44 PM

I like the ViaAqua filters, they are good and quiet and cheap. Better
designed than the Fluvals, IMO and about the same as the
Ehiems/Rena's.

For a CO2 reactor, simply place a 2 to 2.5 " PVC tube in line in the
inlet part of you canister line.
Should cost 8-15$ or so. 100% efficient.
See Ghori's site for more info on it.

Regards,
Tom Barr