Old 09-08-2003, 08:24 AM
alan howell

Default interpet antislime

Hi all
has anyone ever used "Interpet Antislime algae " treatment.Just wondered if
it works, TIA.....Alan

--
freeserve.co.uk

Old 09-08-2003, 08:24 AM
Racf

"alan howell" wrote in message
Hi all
has anyone ever used "Interpet Antislime algae " treatment.Just

wondered if
it works, TIA.....Alan

--
freeserve.co.uk

I have not used it. What is generally called slime algae is actually
bacteria. If this product were to address it, it would have to be an
anti-biotic like Erythromycin(probably misspelled that). Its the only
anti-biotic I have heard of that would address it without completely
killing bio-filter. I would suggest not using it unless its clearly
understood what it is and what your problem is.

The latest recommended procedure for getting rid of this bacteria is to
black out the tank for a few days..or just sucking it out.....The root
cause is generally high phosphate levels.

Good luck..

Old 11-08-2003, 12:12 PM
Cam

......The root
cause is generally high phosphate levels.

Hey Racf,

Are you sure about that? If so, what would be the best way to lessen
phosphate levels? Gravel Vacuum, water changes?

Regards
Cameron

Old 11-08-2003, 09:09 PM
Racf

"Cam" wrote in message
.....The root
cause is generally high phosphate levels.

Hey Racf,

Are you sure about that? If so, what would be the best way to lessen
phosphate levels? Gravel Vacuum, water changes?

Regards
Cameron

Check your tap water to make sure of its levels of phosphate... Usually
weekly gravel vacs and water changes are advised to reduce build-ups.
In bad cases there are products available as filter media that absorb
Phosphates...

Old 11-08-2003, 10:21 PM

"Cam" wrote in message ...
.....The root
cause is generally high phosphate levels.

No.
Try very low free nutrient levels(very low NO3 level or none at all),
often high organic levels(Clean your filter/water changes etc).
I can and do routinely add high PO4's , I have never had BGA appear in
any relationship with PO4 dosages when the other nutrients, like
CO2/NO3 etc are in a good range.

BGA/cyanobacteria can live on next to nothing, your plants on the
other hand cannot. Poor plant growth= algae growth.

A 3 day blackout takes less time and is much cheaper than any other
cure out there. Do it and then cure the cause, poor plant growth by
adding enough KNO3 etc to your tank.

The product was more likely for a marine slime algae, not Oscillitoria
sp.
See post with BGA, Cyanobacteria both here and the APD and elsewhere
on the web for a run down of how to do this. It's simple and works
very well.

Regards,
Tom Barr