Old 10-08-2003, 12:03 AM
Chuck Gadd

Default Identify this plant...

Founds lots and lots of what I think is some Echinodorus species
during a hike today.

Here's a picture of a bunch:
http://dev1.cfxc.com/chuck/plant.jpg

Hard to tell from the pic, but the pictured plant was about 2 feet
tall. The flower stalks look just like the flower stalks I've seen
from Echinodorus in my tanks.

The hike wasn't an area that I would have expected to find aquatic
plants. There were hundreds and hundreds of these growing in a
mountain meadow, about 11,000 feet. They were usually next to tiny
mountain brooks, but some of them were in the middle of the field, no
were near the water.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua
Old 10-08-2003, 09:03 PM
~Vicki ~

I don't know. Before looking at the picture I was thinking primrose as
these are just as happy wet or dry. But it is not any primrose I know
of. Someone may know a little more about alpine plants who live in that
type of area. I don't sell that stuff at my husbands store.

Vicki

Old 11-08-2003, 10:21 PM

The hike wasn't an area that I would have expected to find aquatic
plants. There were hundreds and hundreds of these growing in a
mountain meadow, about 11,000 feet. They were usually next to tiny
mountain brooks, but some of them were in the middle of the field, no
were near the water.
Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua

It's not what you think. Grab a plant list of apline plants of CO.
You'll find it. There's not too many plants that live at 11,000ft.
So that should narrow it down and it's a big old monocot.
Regards,
Tom Barr

Old 12-08-2003, 08:07 PM
Philippe Lemaire \(remove all D's\)

Alisma plantago-aquatica or Alisma lanceolatum ?

Philippe