Old 17-08-2003, 01:10 AM
cindy

Default What are your personal goals with a planted tank?

Interesting question. At first I wanted something that looked
beautiful, well-designed - and Amano-esque. What I have ended up with
is an eclectic mix of plants that grow out of control. Tank looks
wild...but natural (if you ignore the fact that these species are from
different continents). Sometimes I'm tempted to rip everything out
and start again - and stick to a design this time.

One goal is to have success with blooming plants. The only thing I've
had bloom in the tank is a Madagasgar lace fern. I've planted camboba
carolina - but it has never bloomed. Any suggestions for blooming
aquatic plants?
Old 25-08-2003, 09:12 PM
Martin

Well, Initially I wanted a tank that looked like an Amano tank. A wonderful
natural underwater landscape that looked nice, absorbed all the unwanted
end-of-line nutrients and required little or no maintenance because all the
Nitrate and Phosphate was gone!!!!! - into the plants.....that is.

I also wanted a South American only theme for plants and fish. Hence a SA
Cichlid environment (not Discus).

It did not turn out the way I wanted despite all the high-tech CO2 injection
etc. The plants refused to grow despite the 100% flourite substrate -
probably due to the lack of light which I cannot change with my setup (3
bulbs max hence 90W over 250L), the algae took over. I reduced the algae
only by purchasing plants that would grow. Now I have a planted tank with
plants that are not all South American. Some have too much air roots for my
liking...It looks a bit scragly with the Hydrocotyl but otherwise its OK. I
now have developing a blue green slime on the leaves - suspect its BG algae.
The surface also fills up with Blue Green Slime and requires skimming every
week or so.

So all in all - not the experience I planned for or wanted.