Old 14-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Ancient Spacecraft

Default Onion plant

I have bought an onion plant for my new set up and would like to know if
there are any tips Regarding maintaining this plant.

Old 14-08-2003, 08:44 PM
Graham Ramsay

"Ancient Spacecraft" wrote
I have bought an onion plant for my new set up and would like to know if
there are any tips Regarding maintaining this plant.

My tip would be to put it in a very tall tank.
I had one once and it grew very easily. Just very tall!

--
Graham Ramsay
You might be a Bright:

Old 15-08-2003, 03:45 AM
Cammie

"Graham Ramsay" wrote in message
"Ancient Spacecraft" wrote
I have bought an onion plant for my new set up and would like to know if
there are any tips Regarding maintaining this plant.

My tip would be to put it in a very tall tank.
I had one once and it grew very easily. Just very tall!

My (dwarf) onion plants are doing horribly. They are okay for about an inch
from the onion but then algae has clung to them and they broke off half way
up. Look terrible. With all my plant problems, and since replacing my
light with power mini compacts, my hornwort and spiral vals do great but
nothing else is doing good, still.

Old 15-08-2003, 08:22 AM
Guylian

Onion plant? I guess that is local name for some common water plant ) but
I'm courious. Can somebody give me a latin name of it?

(sorry for my bad English)

Old 15-08-2003, 09:43 AM
Graham Ramsay

"Guylian" wrote
Onion plant? I guess that is local name for some common water plant ) but
I'm courious. Can somebody give me a latin name of it?

Crinium

--
Graham Ramsay
You might be a Bright:

Old 15-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Ancient Spacecraft

It might be an idea to get algae eating fish and snails. My algae is minimal
to date. I have ancistrus and a pleco.

Old 16-08-2003, 05:02 AM
NetMax

"Graham Ramsay" wrote in message
"Guylian" wrote
Onion plant? I guess that is local name for some common water plant

) but
I'm courious. Can somebody give me a latin name of it?

Crinium

Crinum thaianum ?
http://www.aquatics-review.com/gf/pl...nts-details-00
01-0035/p-detailed-0028-mainframe.php
(watch the word-wrap).
It's claim to fame (which I will be testing) is on the bottom of that
link:

Not eaten by herbivorous fish.
Not eaten by Cichlids.

NetMax

--
Graham Ramsay

Old 16-08-2003, 06:22 AM
Cammie

"Ancient Spacecraft" wrote It might be an idea to
get algae eating fish and snails. My algae is minimal to date. I have
ancistrus and a pleco.

I'd love a snail. I cannot find any large enough around my small town.
Small ones get sucked out by my Red Cap Orandas. They love those escargot!
slurp!

Old 16-08-2003, 10:22 AM
Flash Wilson

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 23:51:06 -0400, NetMax wrote:

Crinum thaianum ?

snip
It's claim to fame (which I will be testing) is on the bottom of that
link:

Not eaten by herbivorous fish.
Not eaten by Cichlids.

Mine isn't eaten by those groups or anything else, but it does get
uprooted by them frequently; it needs good anchoring. Sometimes it
throws out nice ribbons of leaf which quickly reach the surface;
sometimes they break up and get everywhere.

I'm not sure whether I like it; it's fast to establish and grow but
doesn't provide much spread or cover.

And I get sick of replanting it six times a day

--
Flash . o O ( www.gorge.org )