Old 15-08-2003, 11:14 PM
yelohk

Default heavy metals?

I was wondering what is meant by "heavy metals" or "toxic heavy metals"
that some dechlorinators say they remove.

Which metals are they removing? Are the dechlorinators truly effective
at removing them? Do they also remove plant nutrients, like iron, etc?
Should they be added at a different time than liquid plant fertilizers?

--

direct replies: yelohk AT yahoo

Old 17-08-2003, 04:15 AM
Brian

I was wondering what is meant by "heavy metals" or "toxic heavy metals"
that some dechlorinators say they remove.

Which metals are they removing? Are the dechlorinators truly effective
at removing them? Do they also remove plant nutrients, like iron, etc?
Should they be added at a different time than liquid plant fertilizers?

I think the dechlorinator products have heavy metal binding agents that
either chelate the heavy metal ions or cause them to precipitate out of
solution. Copper is a heavy metal that, in high enough concentration,
would concern aquarist. I would pretreat my water with dechlorinator
before adding fertilizer. It doesn't take long for the binding agents to
find something in your aquarium bind with (I'd say within minutes or even
seconds). Thus, nutralizing the binding agent.

Brian

--
Brian's Planted Aquaria
http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jrevenn

Aerospace Metals Supplier aathi Lawns 0 30-06-2008 12:40 PM
heavy metals? yelohk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 15-08-2003 11:14 PM
"Heavy metals" Mike Yared Plant Biology 0 02-05-2003 03:20 AM
metals in water question Robin Ponds 5 11-04-2003 04:56 AM
What can I do with heavy water logged soil? KW United Kingdom 9 12-03-2003 08:02 PM