Old 21-08-2003, 11:13 PM
Chris

Default Co2 Supply

I've been tampering with tanks for some time now. Through this
newsgroup I have also picked up lots of tips.
One thing I haven't seen mentioned as a quick easy cheap source of co2
is Club Soda. I seems to me that a dash in your tank each day would add
the co2 the plants need. Club Soda is just carbonated water right.? If
anyone has any thoughts on this please reply.

Old 22-08-2003, 12:33 AM
Dinky

"Chris" wrote in message ...
I've been tampering with tanks for some time now. Through this
newsgroup I have also picked up lots of tips.
One thing I haven't seen mentioned as a quick easy cheap source of co2
is Club Soda. I seems to me that a dash in your tank each day would add
the co2 the plants need. Club Soda is just carbonated water right.? If
anyone has any thoughts on this please reply.

It may work, but be aware that club soda contains potassium carbonate, which
will affect your water hardness, and may even *raise* PH.

Old 22-08-2003, 12:07 PM
LeighMo

I've been tampering with tanks for some time now. Through this
newsgroup I have also picked up lots of tips.
One thing I haven't seen mentioned as a quick easy cheap source of co2
is Club Soda. I seems to me that a dash in your tank each day would add
the co2 the plants need. Club Soda is just carbonated water right.? If
anyone has any thoughts on this please reply.

People have thought of this before. In fact, this is how Takashi Amano started
out.

But I wouldn't recommend it. A dash each day isn't enough. Plants need a
steady supply. You'd have to stand over the tank all day, constantly pouring
the club soda into the tank. The kind of sparkling water Amano used had a
small amount of sodium in it, and he had trouble with it building up in the
tank eventually.

You'd be much better off with DIY yeast and sugar. It would be easier,
cheaper, and more effective.

Leigh