Old 24-08-2003, 04:02 AM
Doug and Lois

Default Seeking opinions about substrate options

One of my planted tanks has become a nightmare. The alage growth is
overwhelming. I am quite sure that I made a mistake with the substrate when
I set the thing up. (Trust me on this. Water parameters are great and the
light is sufficient and of the proper wavelength. I have other planted tanks
doing just fine that, toherwise, are identical to the nasty one. OK, I'll
fess up. I set it up with a layer of peat covered with a layer of small
gravel. I have done that many times nefore with great success once the
initial tannins leach out of the peat. But, in this case, I added some
commercial houseplant potting soil. Seems to have been a BIG mistake.) SO,
since it is time to get a larger tank anyway, it seems a good time to break
down the old tank and start over.

So, here are my options. I wonder which you folks think is the best choice.
My goal is a feshwater plant system with soft water and low pH for Angels,
Discuss, Dwarf South American Cichlids, and some tetras as well as the usual
army of bottom feeders including some corys and plecos.

1. Do the peat thing again but forget the potting soil!!!! I like the way
this maintains the water chemistry but it is a bit frustrating waiting for
the tannins to leach out so the water will stop turning a lovely shade of
yellow and clear up. usually takes about three months in the systems I have
set up before. Would you add laterite to this mix if you were going to use
it????

2. Plain old gravel. (You are going tohave to do a LOT of convincing to get
me to buy into THAT one)

3. Profile (That water plant stuff sold at Home Depot and Lowes for garden
pond plants.) I have heard a number of people report good success. But is it
rich enough for more difficult plants? Would you add any soil additives to
that like the Laterite my LFS wants to sell me?

4. Any other suggestions? the ideal would be a sbstrate rich enough to
support a variety of plants.

Doug

Old 24-08-2003, 07:02 AM
~Vicki ~

What is wrong with gravel. I use it in my tank and my plants are great.
Most aquatic plants get there nutrition through their leaves anyways so
the other stuff is a waist of money in my opinion. The plants roots are
more or less anchors for the plants and good water movement through
their roots is another good benefit from gravel. And lastly if you use
a good fertilizer and have fish to provide nutrients, the substrate is
not very important.

Vicki

my 2 cent

Old 24-08-2003, 07:12 AM
Racf

[...]

No.

2. Plain old gravel. (You are going tohave to do a LOT of convincing

to get
me to buy into THAT one)

Yes and Sand with it. Add some Seachem gravel conditioner. I have
found this to work the best and be cost effective..

3. Profile (That water plant stuff sold at Home Depot and Lowes for

garden
pond plants.) I have heard a number of people report good success. But

is it
rich enough for more difficult plants? Would you add any soil

additives to
that like the Laterite my LFS wants to sell me?

No worst substrate can be had than this crap.... Do not make this
mistake.

Old 24-08-2003, 07:12 AM
Dinky

"~Vicki ~" wrote in message
What is wrong with gravel. I use it in my tank and my plants are great.
Most aquatic plants get there nutrition through their leaves anyways so
the other stuff is a waist of money in my opinion. The plants roots are
more or less anchors for the plants and good water movement through
their roots is another good benefit from gravel. And lastly if you use
a good fertilizer and have fish to provide nutrients, the substrate is
not very important.

Vicki

That may be true for some plants, such as hornwort or anacharis, which seem
to grow no matter what you do to them, but there are a great many that
simply won't flourish in gravel. For example, swords crave a very rich sub,
which I've found requires a denser material, like sand.

Old 24-08-2003, 06:12 PM
TomD

"Doug and Lois" wrote in message
snip
4. Any other suggestions? the ideal would be a sbstrate rich enough to
support a variety of plants.

Doug

Hi Doug,

I've done a little reading about using a more "natural" and less expensive
substrate. I found the book by Walstad was a great resource, but my initial
frustration with the book was that it didn't tell me exactly what types of
soils to use - it seems funny now that I would expect the author to do so
when there is such a variety of soils, soil mixtures, ect., plus it takes
half the fun out of it

I did roughly follow the substrate recipe from
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/kelly-intro.html, but I used a local clay and
loam mixture from a pond shop. One thing I did learn in reading about the
soils for the aquarium was that you really have to try and avoid soil
mixtures that have fertalizers and decomposable matter such as wood, leaves,
etc. Otherwise they will begin to rot (or so I have read). My tank and
experience are both realtively new, but I thought I would post my findings
in case it was of interest.

Tom

Old 24-08-2003, 09:23 PM
~Vicki ~

That may be true for some plants, such as hornwort or anacharis, which
seem to grow no matter what you do to them, but there are a great many
that simply won't flourish in gravel. For example, swords crave a very
rich sub, which I've found requires a denser material, like sand.

Swords is the bulk of what I grow very successfully in gravel. In fact
I have so many varieties of Echinodorus growing in gravel that I had to
post again and tell ya that that is not true.

Vicki

Old 24-08-2003, 09:32 PM
Dinky

"~Vicki ~" wrote in message

Swords is the bulk of what I grow very successfully in gravel. In fact
I have so many varieties of Echinodorus growing in gravel that I had to
post again and tell ya that that is not true.

Vicki

Well, as is so often pointed out, some things work famously for one, and are
tragic for another. YMMV, as always, yah-hey?

billy

Old 25-08-2003, 01:02 AM
Dave Engle

"Racf" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Doug and Lois" wrote in message
3. Profile (That water plant stuff sold at Home Depot and Lowes

for
garden
pond plants.) I have heard a number of people report good

success. But
is it
rich enough for more difficult plants? Would you add any soil

additives to
that like the Laterite my LFS wants to sell me?

No worst substrate can be had than this crap.... Do not make this
mistake.

Profile can make an excellent substrate! My only complaint is that
it is too light and is stirred up too easily. My favorite substrate
of all time is a 50/50 mix of Profile and Flourite. I just put the
Profile on the bottom and the Flourite on top. The Profile
significantly cuts the price of your substrate, while the Flourite
holds down the Profile and looks nicer.

If you want some hard facts on different materials that you might be
thinking about using in your substrate, check out this research that
Jamie Johnson did a while back:
http://home.infinet.net/teban/jamie.htm

While you're there, you might as well read the rest of the excellent
articles that Steve Pushak has...

http://home.infinet.net/teban/index.html

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dave Engle

DFW, TX USA
Independent Associate
Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.
http://www.prepaidlegal.com/go/dengle

Old 25-08-2003, 01:32 AM
Cammie

I had to get rid of my substrate because it was upping my silicates, it was
like your typical gravel but softer. I now have glass gravel, it's chopped
up and smoothed out of recycled glass. Looks great, and no effect on the
water. That other substrate I used gave me red/brown algae outbreaks.

As for green algae on your plants, get a Pleco! he'll have it algae free
quick! Forget the Corys, a Pleco will eat stuf on the bottom as well as the
glass and plants.

Old 25-08-2003, 01:42 AM
Cammie

Here http://www.gelstuff.com/seagems.html

and here

http://www.gelstuff.com/beachglass.html

I have the True Blue Sea Gems Crystals mixed with the Emerald and the light
effect on and through them is amazing. In my small tan I have the black
glass sand but the sea gems are wonderful. If you email them, they will
make a suggestion for how much you will need for your size tank.

Old 25-08-2003, 02:12 AM
Doug and Lois

SUPERB site recommendations. Thanks. there is more information there then I
could possibly take in.

Thanks

Doug

"Dave Engle" wrote in message