Old 24-08-2003, 11:22 PM
Leong Goh

Default Tips to catch Bristlenose

Hi all

I want to tranfer a 3in bristlenose from a heavily planted tank to a new
cichlid tank I've setup. Any tips on how to catch her without destroying
the plants?

Thanks

Leong

Old 25-08-2003, 06:23 AM
Jim Brown

Leong Goh wrote in message
Hi all

I want to tranfer a 3in bristlenose from a heavily planted tank to a new
cichlid tank I've setup. Any tips on how to catch her without destroying
the plants?

Thanks

Leong

Does it have a favourite hidey hole?
If not, introduce a 6-8 inch piece of dark plastic pipe, or even a terra
cotta flowerpot. Once the fish enters this cave, it is as good as caught.
Try to avoid using a net as their spiny fins can get quite entangled,
causing fin damage and ruining the net.
Have patience. I wish you a world of luck.

Jim

Old 25-08-2003, 06:42 AM
Dinky

"Jim Brown" wrote in message

Does it have a favourite hidey hole?

I had to damn near drain my 75 to get the 3 pl*cos outa there. I read the
pipe/jar idea on a website before my attempt, but they wouldn't go anywhere
near the pvc i put in there. Damn, they're quick. Ended up catching them by
hand. They seemed to take it rather well, and seem much happier in the
fish-only tinfoil tank. I think the danios stressed em out.

Old 25-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Martin

My 3" Bristlenose always attached itself to the bottom of a piece of wood. I
simply lifted out the wood until the bottom 3/4 was still submerged. I then
put a large net underneath it and lifted it out. The Bristlenose just fell
into the net when the water ran out.....

So use some bogwood - It won't let go until its out of the water....

Old 26-08-2003, 11:44 AM
Leong Goh

"Martin" wrote in message
My 3" Bristlenose always attached itself to the bottom of a piece of wood.

simply lifted out the wood until the bottom 3/4 was still submerged. I

then
put a large net underneath it and lifted it out. The Bristlenose just fell
into the net when the water ran out.....

So use some bogwood - It won't let go until its out of the water....

Thanks for the suggestions. I had noticed bristlenoses attached to wood in
other tanks, but never thought of doing this, the wood in this tank is way
too large. I've put another bit of wood in tonight and hopefully she will
like it enough to use your idea. No luck with the PVC pipe so far...