GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   angel eats neons ? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/41298-angel-eats-neons.html)

spug 25-08-2003 01:32 AM

angel eats neons ?

Am I right in thinking that my angel fish has probably eaten my neon tetras?

Marcus Fox 25-08-2003 05:12 AM

angel eats neons ?

"spug" wrote in message
Am I right in thinking that my angel fish has probably eaten my neon

tetras?

Likely.

Marcus

Dinky 25-08-2003 06:12 AM

angel eats neons ?

"spug" wrote in message
Am I right in thinking that my angel fish has probably eaten my neon

tetras?

People seem to think frequently, (I blame the LFS's) because they're
"pretty" and gentle looking, they're not going to be nasty. Besides with a
name like "angel", how can they be? Angels are cichlids, and prone to
cichlid behavior. I'd be almost certain that the neons were dinner.

donovan n 25-08-2003 10:42 AM

angel eats neons ?

Aren't small tetras like neons the angel's natural food? I seem to
recall that angels came from the same region as the South American Tetras.

--donovan

Toni 25-08-2003 12:03 PM

angel eats neons ?

"spug" wrote in message
Am I right in thinking that my angel fish has probably eaten my neon

tetras?

A good general rule of thumb is "any fish will eat any other fish that it
can get into its mouth".
Exceptions abound, but it's a good phrase if you are new to fishkeeping.

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/aquarium.htm

spug 25-08-2003 12:42 PM

angel eats neons ?

"Toni" wrote in message
link.net...

"spug" wrote in message
Am I right in thinking that my angel fish has probably eaten my neon

tetras?

A good general rule of thumb is "any fish will eat any other fish that it
can get into its mouth".
Exceptions abound, but it's a good phrase if you are new to fishkeeping.

Thank you all for that.

Mort 26-08-2003 01:03 AM

angel eats neons ?

"spug" wrote in message

"Toni" wrote in message
link.net...

"spug" wrote in message
Am I right in thinking that my angel fish has probably eaten my neon

tetras?

A good general rule of thumb is "any fish will eat any other fish that

it
can get into its mouth".
Exceptions abound, but it's a good phrase if you are new to fishkeeping.

Thank you all for that.

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/aquarium.htm

I know a guy who successfully kepps a wild pair of angels with a group of
cardinals.

I dont know if the slight coloration difference has anything to do with it
but his cardinals do not get eaten. Food for thought (pun intended)

~Mort

Dinky 26-08-2003 01:12 AM

angel eats neons ?

"Mort" wrote in message news:Hiw2b.15419
I know a guy who successfully kepps a wild pair of angels with a group of
cardinals.

I dont know if the slight coloration difference has anything to do with it
but his cardinals do not get eaten. Food for thought (pun intended)

~Mort

I've seen it too. I can theorize that if the angels are placed with the tets
when the angels are too small to eat them, they may get used to them. Like
getting a puppy and a kitten at the same time. shrug

Dave Engle 26-08-2003 05:04 AM

angel eats neons ?

"donovan n" wrote in message
Aren't small tetras like neons the angel's natural food? I seem

recall that angels came from the same region as the South American

Tetras.

Indeed.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dave Engle

DFW, TX USA
Independent Associate
Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.
http://www.prepaidlegal.com/go/dengle

LeighMo 26-08-2003 04:03 PM

angel eats neons ?

People seem to think frequently, (I blame the LFS's) because they're
"pretty" and gentle looking, they're not going to be nasty.

I don't think that's it. A lot of books list neons and angelfish as good tank
mates. Fish books for beginners often have those "recipes" for community
tanks, with fish lists. Or charts of "compatible" fish. And neons and
angelfish are usually listed as compatible.

I, too, experienced "the mystery of the disappearing neons." I couldn't
believe the angelfish were the culprit because all my books said they were
peaceful and could be kept with neons. Hah!

I've heard of people who keep angelfish and neons together successfully. They
attritubute various factors to their success: having the fish grow up together,
having a very large tank, having a heavily planted tank, never giving the
angelfish any live food, ever. But I suspect it's just a matter of time. I
kept my angelfish and neons together for eight years successfully, before the
neons starting mysteriously disappearing.

Leigh

Flash Wilson 26-08-2003 04:03 PM

angel eats neons ?

On 26 Aug 2003 10:53:30 GMT, LeighMo wrote:
I don't think that's it. A lot of books list neons and angelfish as good tank
mates. Fish books for beginners often have those "recipes" for community
tanks, with fish lists. Or charts of "compatible" fish. And neons and
angelfish are usually listed as compatible.

The real recipe should go like this:

Take your finest neon tetras
Season to taste
Put on plate
Hand cutlery to Angelfish

No? :)

--
__ __ ____ __ ____ __ __ __ _ ___ _ _ __ _ ___ ___ _ _ __ _
\ V V /\ V V /\ V V // _` / _ \ '_/ _` / -_)_/ _ \ '_/ _` |

LeighMo 26-08-2003 11:13 PM

angel eats neons ?

The real recipe should go like this:

Take your finest neon tetras
Season to taste
Put on plate
Hand cutlery to Angelfish

No? :)

ROFL!

Leigh

Haywire 27-08-2003 02:02 PM

angel eats neons ?

NOpe, my personal experience says no to that. IMHO I think the cardinals
we buy are ususally near an inch in size, sort of the upper limit to what a
typical sized angel can cram into it's mouth, whereas, we see stores
selling 1/2 inch "extra large" neons which seem to be a nice morsal size
for angels. From my personal experience I've started 1/2" neons and angels
together and have watched the neon population vanish as the angels grew.
Right now I have 15 cardinals and 3 breeder sized angels and 2 juvie angels
together with a few discus in one of my 50's.

"Dinky" wrote in
:

kush 27-08-2003 05:02 PM

angel eats neons ?

5.104...

"Mort" wrote in message
I know a guy who successfully kepps a wild pair of angels with a
group of cardinals.

I dont know if the slight coloration difference has anything to do
with it but his cardinals do not get eaten. Food for thought (pun
intended)

~Mort

I've seen it too. I can theorize that if the angels are placed with
the tets when the angels are too small to eat them, they may get used
to them. Like getting a puppy and a kitten at the same time. shrug

I haven't told this story for awhile, so maybe I can be forgiven for telling
it yet again.

When I set up my 75 gallon I put in approximately forty neons and later
moved in five 2½' angels from a smaller tank. Over the course of a week
over half the neons vanished. The angels had eaten all the smallest neons
but had still to determine for themselves what size neon was too big to be
successfully eaten so, over the next couple weeks, about half of the
remaining neons died of what could only be described as 'blunt trauma' as
each angel experimented on them in succession.

kush