Old 25-08-2003, 02:42 AM
Craig D

Default Plant bath?

I hope this doesn't seem like a silly question but I seem to remember
someone telling me that they washed their local found water plants in a
chlorine/water bath in order to get rid of any clinging eggs or larvae
that may be living hidden from view on the plants.
Does anyone know what the best ratio for chlorine/water so as not to
kill the plant itself?
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Craig
Ontario, Canada

Old 25-08-2003, 03:12 AM
Dinky

"Craig D" wrote in message
I hope this doesn't seem like a silly question but I seem to remember
someone telling me that they washed their local found water plants in a
chlorine/water bath in order to get rid of any clinging eggs or larvae
that may be living hidden from view on the plants.
Does anyone know what the best ratio for chlorine/water so as not to
kill the plant itself?
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Craig
Ontario, Canada

From the rec.aquaria.* FAQ:

``How do I disinfect my plants?''
New plants may have unwanted hitchers: snails, algae or disease.
Disinfection can help reduce their transmission into the tank, and can be
used to remove algae growths from established plants. Beware, there is
always a danger of going too far and damaging the plant itself. Some popular
methods:

A ten minute soak in potassium permangenate (pale purple) works well; it is
available in dilute form from Jungle products as "Clear Water". Permangenate
is particularly good for killing bacteria and pathogens.
A 2-day soak in 1 tbsp/gallon of alum (buy it at drug stores) is good for
killing snails and their eggs.
If the plants are kept in a fish-free system for three weeks, parasites like
ich and velvet will die without their fish hosts.
A soak in a 1:19 diluted bleach solution; 2 minutes for stem plants, 3
minutes for tougher plants. Make sure to remove all traces of bleach
afterwards by rinsing with water and dechlorinator. This method can kill
your plants, so use only as a last resort against hell algae.

hth

billy

Old 25-08-2003, 03:12 PM
AQUATIC-STORE.COM

1/18 bleach is probably what you read.
Time depends on fragility of the plant

Marcus

http://www.aquatic-store.com/

Co2 tanks on sale
Eheim 2026 $143
Co2 regulator and bubble counter with needle valve $75

WEBBOARD

http://aquatic.yupapa.com/phpbb/index.php

salt bath questions figaro Ponds 31 29-08-2004 08:41 PM
salt bath questions figaro Ponds 0 25-08-2004 02:19 AM
Something red grows in the bird bath Anonny Moose Gardening 8 21-05-2004 03:02 AM
Beauty of Bath Therefore United Kingdom 10 22-10-2003 08:02 AM
BIRD BATH QUESTION WARRENRN1 Gardening 4 22-07-2003 05:08 PM