Old 25-08-2003, 11:42 AM
rapdor

Default Sand or Gravel?

I'm probably only a few days away from bringing home my 4' freshwater
aquarium, which I aspire to eventually have fairly densely planted. The
filter is similar to an external filter (except that it's incorporated into
the hood) with the filtered water returning at the top of the tank. The
hood includes 3 x 4' tubes.

The question: What do I buy for the bottom of the tank, sand or gravel?

I like the idea of black sand with perhaps a 25% gravel partitioned area in
the center. But I wouldn't really have a clue, so will appreciate any
advice on what will work best for the plants. A very high priority is to
keep it simple, so there will be no C02 or skimmers or any of that fancy
clobber--just water, driftwood, lights, plants and fish.

Old 25-08-2003, 02:12 PM
AQUATIC-STORE.COM

What type of fish are you going to have?
Are be you going to have any other substrate like laterite or
flourite?
This is recommended for heavily planted tanks.
Sand will tend to compact the roots of the plants if by iteself

Marcus

http://www.aquatic-store.com/

Co2 tanks on sale
Eheim 2026 $143
Co2 regulator and bubble counter with needle valve $75

WEBBOARD

http://aquatic.yupapa.com/phpbb/index.php

Old 25-08-2003, 06:22 PM
~Vicki ~

Hey !!

Stay away from the perlite and stuff like that. In every tank I have
ever seen in LFS that uses that stuff the plants don't look all that
healthy (algae bloom/problems). Gravel is just fine and sand and gravel
mixed sounds like a nice combo. I use gravel and river rocks and have
good luck with that.

Vicki

Gravel Amount - Gravel Koi-Lo Ponds 7 08-06-2006 07:12 AM
Gravel or no gravel Barry Ponds 3 18-09-2003 12:12 AM
Sand sand and sand kcchin Gardening 8 15-06-2003 04:20 PM
Sand or Gravel? Martin A. Gross Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 20-04-2003 06:17 AM
gravel or sand? Dustin Freshwater Aquaria Plants 20 20-04-2003 06:16 AM