GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Loach bribes (was Advice needed for new aquarium... ) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/41366-loach-bribes-re-advice-needed-new-aquarium.html)

Victor M. Martinez 25-08-2003 11:32 PM

Loach bribes (was Advice needed for new aquarium... )

Jim Seidman wrote:
Again, this is true for many other substrates. And my clown loaches
have refrained from "rearranging" things as long as I keep bribing
them with asparagus.

Hmmm.... asparagus you say? Do you cook it first or give it to them raw?

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Jim Seidman 26-08-2003 05:42 PM

(Victor M. Martinez) wrote in message ...
Jim Seidman wrote:
Again, this is true for many other substrates. And my clown loaches
have refrained from "rearranging" things as long as I keep bribing
them with asparagus.

Hmmm.... asparagus you say? Do you cook it first or give it to them raw?

First I steam the asparagus, same as for human consumption. Then I cut
off the tip, partly because I don't want little bits coming off in the
tank, partly because it's my favorite part so I want to eat it myself.
I slice the asparagus in half lengthwise so that they can get to the
center.

When I put it in the tank there's a huge commotion from both the clown
loaches and the rosy barbs. After a few hours they slow down and the
otocincluses can get at it. By the next day the asparagus is reduced
to a thin outer shell (the green part) with the center completely
carved out.

- Jim